Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Heninger <an...@jtcsv.com> on 2001/03/26 18:55:14 UTC

Serializer Question

Todd Firsich asks

> I am having trouble following the thread on Serialization for Xerces
since I
> only have the mailing list of 2000 and since last week ... what is the
state
> of the serializer?  I need to add to DOMPrint the ability to write to a
file
> instead of to stdout and I am stuck.

All of the output in DOMPrint passes through the function
   DOMPrintFormatTarget::writeChars().
If you change the implementation of this function to write
to a file rather than to cout, it should do what you want.

Getting a real serializer in the xerces library is still
something that needs to be done.  For the IBM developers,
this has been prioritized behind support for XML Schema and
performance enhancements, which is why it hasn't happened
yet.

If someone outside of IBM wanted to take on writing a serializer,
that would be most welcome.

There's a W3C proposal for a standard serializer API at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-DOM-Level-3-CMLS-20010209/

  -- Andy Heninger,      IBM Cupertino
      heninger@us.ibm.com