Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org> on 2017/07/25 11:34:22 UTC

Bad tags in 8.5's github repo

Hi,

This was noted yesterday in #tomcat:

<peetaur2> the tomcat85 repo has a tag TOMCAT_8_0_14 which has a
message "Tag 8.5.14" ...
<peetaur2> but   git diff TOMCAT_8_5_14 TOMCAT_8_0_14   shows no output

I took a look at SVN and the tags seem right, but maybe they were
broken and later fixed post replication? The correct tags do exist in
the github repo, but two 8.0 tags exist
(https://github.com/apache/tomcat85/tree/TOMCAT_8_0_12 and
https://github.com/apache/tomcat85/tree/TOMCAT_8_0_14) that are
clearly meant for the 8.5.12 and 8.5.14 releases.

Can we delete those from the github repo?

Thanks,
Coty

Re: Bad tags in 8.5's github repo

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 25/07/17 12:34, Coty Sutherland wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This was noted yesterday in #tomcat:
>>
>> <peetaur2> the tomcat85 repo has a tag TOMCAT_8_0_14 which has a
>> message "Tag 8.5.14" ...
>> <peetaur2> but   git diff TOMCAT_8_5_14 TOMCAT_8_0_14   shows no output
>>
>> I took a look at SVN and the tags seem right, but maybe they were
>> broken and later fixed post replication?
>
> That was me. Sorry. I fat fingered a couple of the tag names and then
> fixed them in svn.
>
>> The correct tags do exist in
>> the github repo, but two 8.0 tags exist
>> (https://github.com/apache/tomcat85/tree/TOMCAT_8_0_12 and
>> https://github.com/apache/tomcat85/tree/TOMCAT_8_0_14) that are
>> clearly meant for the 8.5.12 and 8.5.14 releases.
>>
>> Can we delete those from the github repo?
>
> There is a TONCAT_9_0_0_M23 one as well.
>
> Normally, projects can't do this but I should be able to because of my
> work with the infra team. Let me try it...
>
> Looks like it worked.

Cool, thanks for following up.

> The caveat is I don't know exactly how the mirroring from ASF svn to
> github works. It is possible these might get recreated at some point.

Yeah :( Luckily it isn't a huge problem, but I'll keep an eye out for
others to see if it comes back. It looks like the svn tags are good,
so maybe its fixed now :)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.