Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@decus.org> on 1997/06/16 16:47:34 UTC

More on configuration parsing

    One of the recurrent themese wrt vhosts seems to have been the issue
    of requests going to unexpected places.  What do those of you
    working on a new/improved grammar think of this:

    Modularise/abstract the config parsing stuff enough so that a
    separate utility can be supplied in support/ that will scan the
    config files and point up any errors/occlusions/et cetera?  So far,
    the tendency to discover config errors has been to reload the server
    and have it croak if there's badness; methinks the ability to vet
    the files separately would be a goodness..

    #ken    :-)}

Re: More on configuration parsing

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Both Roy's and my suggestions (they're essentially the same) make it
really explicit which vhost is handling what.

I wonder if we could just add a "-c" command line option which does the
first parse of the config file and then exits.  This won't detect log
opening errors, but we should make those robust (non-exiting) cases if
they aren't already.

Dean

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     One of the recurrent themese wrt vhosts seems to have been the issue
>     of requests going to unexpected places.  What do those of you
>     working on a new/improved grammar think of this:
>
>     Modularise/abstract the config parsing stuff enough so that a
>     separate utility can be supplied in support/ that will scan the
>     config files and point up any errors/occlusions/et cetera?  So far,
>     the tendency to discover config errors has been to reload the server
>     and have it croak if there's badness; methinks the ability to vet
>     the files separately would be a goodness..

I am wondering if it isn't a better idea to have a way to signal the
running server to recheck the config files.  That way you avoid the hassle
of running the code from a seperate program and setting up all the things
you need to do so.

Something like ctlinnd checkfile wouldn't hurt.  In fact, adding a
ctlapache that can do things like restart, print stats, nuke Microsoft,
etc. may be a cool idea.  But not a basic one to be worrying about other
than making things so it can fit in.