Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/09/12 17:59:48 UTC

Re: [Framework] Logger proposal

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 02:01, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Peter, I like your interface change.
>
> I would be +1, except we can't do it just now--it is not
> backwards compatible.

agreed.

> If we added the new method, and deprecated the old method,
> it would work for most installations (where they use AbstractLoggable
> anyway).

I think a clean break is better in long run and maybe we should wait for a
while (Framework V5 or something).

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [Framework] Logger proposal

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
The FOP project recently started using Avalon Framework and LogKit. Now
there is already a request that FOP should not be using LogKit
exclusively. Peter's proposal would be a good solution, one I personally
like very much. I've followed the discussions here on this topic a while
ago and I think that this change is worth a break with backwards
compatibility, especially from a psychological point of view. It could
also improve the acceptance of the Avalon Framework. I'd be happy to see
Framework 4.1 :-) with a new Loggable interface.

PS: Great work, people of Avalon!

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:59:48 +1000 Peter Donald wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 02:01, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > Peter, I like your interface change.
> >
> > I would be +1, except we can't do it just now--it is not
> > backwards compatible.
>
> agreed.
>
> > If we added the new method, and deprecated the old method,
> > it would work for most installations (where they use AbstractLoggable
> > anyway).
>
> I think a clean break is better in long run and maybe we should wait for a
> while (Framework V5 or something).

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch