Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ted <te...@KI5U.net> on 2004/03/14 13:14:19 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] apache won't work behind NAT router?

You need to turn on loopback.  Ask your router manufacturer.  For mine, I
issue the command "IP NAT loopback on".  I assume you're testing from the
same machine as the server.  Try testing from an outside machine and see
what happens.

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
ksc133 wrote:

> i follow your advise and setup another machine to do a dial-up and now i
> can see my webpage when i key in my domain "technet.dyndns.biz"
> regarding the ipNAT loopback... i telnet into my router and can't seems
> to have that function? my is a low-end router/switch. the web interface
> also don't seems to have that fuction. all it can do is static IP or
> port forwarding. only...
> anyway thanks for your help...

Add a line to your 'hosts' file as follows:

127.0.0.1 technet.dyndns.biz

That will cause requests to go directly to the local machine rather than
trying to access it by its external IP address.  This is a work-around
for routers that do not support loopback.

Brian

Re: [users@httpd] apache won't work behind NAT router?

Posted by Ted <te...@KI5U.net>.
Well, I had the same problem with LinkSys.  The router would get confused
when testing from the same machine as the server.  When calling LinkSys
they were in total denial and all they could offer was "While holding down
the red reset button, plug in the power...".

The top-rated router from
Zyxel
http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1022044503&indexcate1=&indexFlagvalue=1021873683
does everything you could wish, up to and including VPN.  The Zywall 10 is
a tremendous product and is configurable by port in every mode.  Even
includes controls for DYDNS.

You can but one on Ebay for ??, Current bid is $61.  Then you update the
firmware and you're good to go. As the unit has 1 WAN and ! LAN port,
you'll need a cheap switch behind it to distribute to all your
machines.  You can get a 4-port switch new for about $30.

Good luck.  It's a pain using these cruddy routers.  <snip> LinkSys are you
listening? </snip>.

Ted

Posted by ksc133 <ks...@singnet.com.sg>.
thanks Ted,