Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Oliver Kiessler <ol...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/14 17:03:45 UTC

Domains and users

hi,
I am currently getting started on jackrabbit JCR. I am wondering if I
should keep users accessing my knowledge management system within the
repository (like in node "/global/users/..."? Is there a best practice
or recommondation?

How about domains? Let's assume I have an enterprise with lots of
divisions. Would I create a new workspace for every division or
seperate them in different node branches like
"/domains/enterprise_xy/a/content/...",
"/domains/enterprise_xy/b/content/..."?

cheers,
oliver

Re: Domains and users

Posted by Oliver Kiessler <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:22:25 +0100, David Nuescheler
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How about domains? Let's assume I have an enterprise with lots of
> > > divisions. Would I create a new workspace for every division or
> > > seperate them in different node branches like
> > > "/domains/enterprise_xy/a/content/...",
> > > "/domains/enterprise_xy/b/content/..."?
> > probably the latter...depends what you want to do
>
> hmmm... i would stress that it depends how
> much the divisions or domains should be aware
> of each other.
>
> keeping everything in one ws is obviously the
> closest you can have the different business
> units together, which makes a lot of sense if they
> should for example refer to each other by path.
>
> in some cases it might even make sense to
> have different repository instances for a & b
> in case they should not share anything, or
> just content that is replicated between repositories.
>
> of course everything between like having a repo
> or ws per domain or per enterprise may make
> sense too.

I think I am going to keep all (enterprise) divisions in one workspace
because I want to have references between divisions. I am also
thinking about keeping users in a "/global/users/..." node, so I can
manage users in one place and have references to them. for instance,
there might be a superuser who has global access to all content in the
repository but there might be users who have access to
"/domains/enterprise_xy/a/content/..." and
"/domains/enterprise_xy/b/content/..." but not
"/domains/enterprise_xy/c/content/...". So every "subdomain"
("/domains/enterprise_xy/a") has a "users node"
("/domains/enterprise_xy/a/users/...") with references to the
"/global/users/..." nodes.

Managing users (who have access to the knowledge management system) is
one thing, but I am not sure yet how to handle access to the JCR
repository itself.

cheers,
oliver

Re: Domains and users

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
> > How about domains? Let's assume I have an enterprise with lots of
> > divisions. Would I create a new workspace for every division or
> > seperate them in different node branches like
> > "/domains/enterprise_xy/a/content/...",
> > "/domains/enterprise_xy/b/content/..."?
> probably the latter...depends what you want to do

hmmm... i would stress that it depends how
much the divisions or domains should be aware
of each other.

keeping everything in one ws is obviously the
closest you can have the different business
units together, which makes a lot of sense if they
should for example refer to each other by path.

in some cases it might even make sense to
have different repository instances for a & b
in case they should not share anything, or
just content that is replicated between repositories.

of course everything between like having a repo
or ws per domain or per enterprise may make
sense too.

in my experience i would say, there is not
going to be a right and or wrong.

regards,
david

standardize your content-repository !
                               http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170

mailto:david.nuescheler@day.com
http://www.day.com

David Nuescheler
Chief Technology Officer
Day Software AG
Barfuesserplatz 6 / Postfach
4001 Basel
Switzerland

T  41 61 226 98 98
F  41 61 226 98 97

Re: Domains and users

Posted by Peeter Piegaze <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:03:45 +0100, Oliver Kiessler
<ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> I am currently getting started on jackrabbit JCR. I am wondering if I
> should keep users accessing my knowledge management system within the
> repository (like in node "/global/users/..."? Is there a best practice
> or recommondation?

Since there are currently few "practices" there are very few "best
practices" :-) But yeah, it is certainly a reasonable: if you need to
store user info you may as well do it within the repository itself.