Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jian Han Guo <ji...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/27 20:43:52 UTC

fail to create or find snapshoot

Hi,

According to Solr's wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication,
if I send the following request to master, a snapshoot will be created

http://master_host:port/solr/replication?command=snapshoot<http://master_host/solr/replication?command=snapshoot>

But after I did it, nothing seemed happening.

I got this response back,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
name="QTime">2</int></lst>
</response>

and I checked the data directory, no snapshoot was created.

I am not sure what to expect after making the request, and where to find the
snapshoot files (and what they are).

Thanks,

Jianhan

Re: fail to create or find snapshoot

Posted by Jian Han Guo <ji...@gmail.com>.
I think this is a bug.

I looked at the classes SnapShooter, and it's constructor looks like this:

public SnapShooter(SolrCore core) {
  solrCore = core;
}

This leaves the variable snapDir to be null, and the variable is never
initialized elsewhere, and later in the function SnapShooter.createSnapshot,
the line

snapShotDir = new File(snapDir, directoryName);

is equivalent to

snapShotDir = new File(directoryName);

because snapDir is null, and therefor the snapshot is created in the
directory where the application is launched. A line should be added to the
contructor like this:

public SnapShooter(SolrCore core) {
  solrCore = core;
  snapDir = core.getDataDir();
}

This is not a problem during development, but it is when you want to deploy
the application to different environments and to schedule snapshot for
backup. Can somebody take a look at this problem?

Thanks,

Jianhan

Posted by Jian Han Guo <ji...@gmail.com>.