Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com> on 2010/08/12 17:59:22 UTC

how to update solr to older 1.5 builds instead of to trunk

please excuse this newbie question, but:

I want to upgrade solr to a version but not to the latest version in the
trunk (because there are so many changes that I would have to test against,
and modify my custom classes for, and behavior changes, and deal with the
lucene index change, etc)

My thought was to try to look at versions that are post 903398 2010-01-26
20:21:09Z but pre the change in the lucene index.  Eventually picking up the
version that had the features I wanted but with as few other changes as
feasible.  I know I could probably apply a bunch of patches but some of the
patches seem to rely on other patches which rely on other patches which rely
on ...  It just seems easier to pick the version that has just the
features/patches I want.

I have no trouble seeing/using the trunk at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/ but it only seems to have
builds 984777 thru 984832

So where would I find significantly older builds (ie like the one I am
currently using - 903398)?

I tried using svn on repository
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/solr/branches/branch-1.5-dev/ but get a
"Repository moved permanently to
'/viewc/lucene/solr/branches/branch-1.5-dev/' message.

Any help would be great

Re: how to update solr to older 1.5 builds instead of to trunk

Posted by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>.
no, once upgraded I wouldnt need to have an older solr read the indexes.
misunderstood the note.

thx

Re: how to update solr to older 1.5 builds instead of to trunk

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM, solr-user <so...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Yonik but
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/solr/CHANGES.txt
> says that the lucene index has changed

Right - but it will be able to read your older index.
Do you need Solr 1.4 to be able to read the new index once you upgrade?

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: how to update solr to older 1.5 builds instead of to trunk

Posted by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Yonik but
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/solr/CHANGES.txt
says that the lucene index has changed

"
Upgrading from Solr 1.4
----------------------

* The Lucene index format has changed and as a result, once you upgrade,
  previous versions of Solr will no longer be able to read your indices.
  In a master/slave configuration, all searchers/slaves should be upgraded
  before the master.  If the master were to be updated first, the older
  searchers would not be able to read the new index format."

not to mention that regression testing is a pain

Is there any way to get a set of builds with versions prior to 3.x??

Re: how to update solr to older 1.5 builds instead of to trunk

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
Another option is the 3x branch - that should still be able to read
indexes from Solr 1.4/Lucene 2.9
I personally don't expect a 1.5 release to ever materialize.
There will eventually be a Lucene/Solr 3.1 release off of the 3x
branch, and a Lucene/Solr 4.0 release off of trunk.