Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Michael Stanley <mp...@syr.edu> on 2001/04/11 19:21:59 UTC

Great Project :)

I wanted to start this email on a positive note.  I've been learning your
project, and following your progress for some time now.  For the first
time today, however, I went through all the source files and have a good
feeling on Turbine.  Snaps to all the contributing developers!   Good
job!

There is a lot of potential with this project.  I would like to take the
moment to put my thoughts on a possible roadmap of Turbine (I may be
missing something so don't kill me if I miss the point/concepts).

I think Turbine should be a specification and implementation of an
application framework for a web services platform.   Currenlty Turbine is
used to as just that, except there is no platform.  It gets launched as a
the framework for a servlet.  This is perfectly fine except for real
large scale sites with multiple web services.  It is very difficult to
have a single entry point (Turbine) and have multiple services in a
single servlet.  Are there any plans to make Turbine a part of the
platform itself, and develop service deployment tools, development
guidelines, etc?

Currently I see several problems with implementing such a platform.
First there are namespacing issues.  Multiple services from different
packages cannot have the same screen names, etc.  Are there any proposals
or plans to change this restriction?

Another problem (of less magnitude I believe) is within Global
Configuration verse service specific config problems.  I don't see this
as being too much of a problem being that it is perfectly acceptable to
set standard configuration for an entire platform (i.e. http.conf, and
server.xml).

Finally there is a problem with multiple development of different
services.  If branch A and branch b of Company X are using the same web
platform and working on different services specific to their branch,
there are many collision problems that may occur.  It would have to be
possible for branch A to restart their Turbine instance controller
without restarting turbine itself, thus not effecting anything with
branch B.

I guess I'm wondering if it be possible for a more abstract seperation of
the Turbine framework from the tubrine instance.

I'm kind of just rambling thoughts at the moment off my head, I will try
to formalize my thoughts at a later time.  I apologize if none of this
makes any sense.  I'm at that point where I'm thinking of too much
without really thinking clearly on anything in particular :)

Well those are some of my thoughts.  Thanks for listening to me rant.
Once again though, good job.

Mike Stanley