Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jo...@barclays.com on 2012/03/27 17:28:23 UTC

There is a way to override distributionManagement in Maven

Hello Maven users,

I have a project master pom.xml with a distribution management section defined like this:

  <distributionManagement>
    <repository>
      <id>one</id>
      <name>Blah Managed Releases Repository</name>
      <url>http://XXXX:8080/archiva/repository/one/</url>
      <layout>default</layout>
    </repository>
    <snapshotRepository>
      <id>snapshots</id>
      <name>Blah Managed Snapshots Repository</name>
      <url>http://XXXX:8080/archiva/repository/snapshots/</url>
      <uniqueVersion>true</uniqueVersion>
      <layout>default</layout>
    </snapshotRepository>
  </distributionManagement>

I want to be able to override this values on a test and production setup, having the production setting enabled by default; After reading the Maven site it seems than the only way to do this is by using profiles but after some reading on this list it seems than the are not a good choice (many caveats).

There is a cleaner way to achieve this?
Can someone point me to some examples? I'm not sure what to put where

Thanks in advance,

--Jose

Barclays is one of the world's leading banks, and we believe that by continuing to integrate the organisation we can better deliver the full power of Barclays to customers, clients and the communities in which we work. As a visible sign of that integration we are moving to a single Barclays brand for the majority of our divisions, including those formerly known as Barclays Capital, Barclays Wealth and Barclays Corporate.

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute
it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received
it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a
solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or
service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer.
By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays offers premier investment banking
products and services to its clients through Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England
(number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may
relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.

Re: There is a way to override distributionManagement in Maven

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
One possibility is to use properties in the distributionMgmt section
and then override the property values from command line. Have a look
at how this is done in the Apache parent pom (for snapshotRepository
distribution):
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/10/apache-10.pom

/Anders

Posted by "Lyons, Roy" <Ro...@cmegroup.com>.
:) that looks exciting actually.  That would be quite usable.  Hopefully this will fix the original poster's issue as well.

Somehow I didn't run across this in my documentation travels, and my documentation passport is generally well stamped...

mvn -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::default::url deploy

?

no change to pom required

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Lyons, Roy" <Ro...@cmegroup.com>.