Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Arun <he...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/04 01:23:28 UTC

Setting up J2 security with existing user and permissions database.

Hello folks,

I would first like to congratulate the contributors to this project
and the forum for the wonderful work being done.  We are in the
process of building a new portal and I want to use Jetspeed 2. I have
a few questions related to security and could not get all the answers
from current documentation. I really appreciate if someone can provide
pointers here.

1. We already have users and roles set up in a database and would like
to authenticate portal users against this store. I want to write a new
LoginModule to accomplish this. I recollect seeing some issues being
raised about replacing the LoginModules. Is this the right approach or
is it recommended to extend the existing LoginModuleProxy. All the
user management activities are taken care by another workflow in place
that has to go through approvals.

2. A list of available portlets and information about roles that can
access them are already available in a database. What is the right
approach to extend the permission management in Jetspeed to use this
data store. Should I write my own implementation similar to rdbms
policy ? The portal is envisioned to be deployed on multiple midtiers
with one database. I do not want to use PSML page security where
folders are created on the filesystem for roles and users. However,
admin should be able to create new tabs and set up access permissions
to it based on roles. Can I achieve this without writing my own
security valve in J2.

Thanks in advance.
Arun

R: Setting up J2 security with existing user and permissions database.

Posted by Andrea Prandini <an...@quix.it>.
I have the same problem. I implemented the LoginModule interface and the
authentication works fine. Now I want to implemets the permission manager on
my role. Arun let me know which solutions you decide and share your idea.

Andrew

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Arun: