Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Terrence Brannon <me...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/28 00:49:29 UTC

forrest site behaves unintuitively

I was browsing a 0.7-version Forrest site:
  http://www.xmlbelux.be/index.html

And if you click on the _word_ "Events" in the menubar (on the lefthand side
of the screen), then it simply refreshes whatever page you are looking at.

This is not intuitive or reasonable IMHO.

Imagine that you just clicked on the History link:
  http://www.xmlbelux.be/history.html

and then you see the word "Events" in the menubar so you click on it,
expecting to be taking to an overview page of the events, instead the page
refreshes.

This is kind of a re-statement of my earliest post asking for how to have
some sort of action "fire" whenever you click on a top-level tab. It would
be nice if one could specify a document to open whenever one clicked on the
overview tab.

Re: forrest site behaves unintuitively

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Terrence Brannon wrote:
> I was browsing a 0.7-version Forrest site:
>  http://www.xmlbelux.be/index.html
>
> And if you click on the _word_ "Events" in the menubar (on the lefthand side
> of the screen), then it simply refreshes whatever page you are looking at.
>
> This is not intuitive or reasonable IMHO.
>
> Imagine that you just clicked on the History link:
>  http://www.xmlbelux.be/history.html
>
> and then you see the word "Events" in the menubar so you click on it,
> expecting to be taking to an overview page of the events, instead the page
> refreshes.

As Ross said, their site designers have their own
implementation of a skin or some configuration error.

This is not how it happens with the forrest website.

The action for a folder on the side-panel navigation menu
is to open or close it to reveal its navigation links.

> This is kind of a re-statement of my earliest post asking for how to have
> some sort of action "fire" whenever you click on a top-level tab. It would
> be nice if one could specify a document to open whenever one clicked on the
> overview tab.

This happens when the user selects the "Tab" across the top.

The xmlbelux site might have a mixup with their site.xml
It lists the same left-hand menu no matter which tab is
being visited. Perhaps missing the @tab attribute for
groups in the site.xml configuration.

I agree with you that this is not intuitive.

-David

Re: forrest site behaves unintuitively

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El mar, 27-06-2006 a las 18:49 -0400, Terrence Brannon escribió:
> I was browsing a 0.7-version Forrest site:
>   http://www.xmlbelux.be/index.html
>
> And if you click on the _word_ "Events" in the menubar (on the
> lefthand side of the screen), then it simply refreshes whatever page
> you are looking at.
>
> This is not intuitive or reasonable IMHO.
>
> Imagine that you just clicked on the History link:
>   http://www.xmlbelux.be/history.html
>
> and then you see the word "Events" in the menubar so you click on it,
> expecting to be taking to an overview page of the events, instead the
> page refreshes.
>
> This is kind of a re-statement of my earliest post asking for how to
> have some sort of action "fire" whenever you click on a top-level tab.
> It would be nice if one could specify a document to open whenever one
> clicked on the overview tab.

IMO it is because of their site.xml and not because of the tigris skin
(which is the underlying skin for the above site).

They probably defined:
<site label="something" href=""
xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0" tab="">
  <event label="event">
    <index label="Index" href="events/index.html" description="Welcome
to LivingCosmos"/>
  </events>
</site>

Changing it to the following is changing the behavior you describe:
<site label="something" href=""
xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0" tab="">
  <event label="event" href="events/" tab="events">
    <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="Welcome to
LivingCosmos"/>
  </events>
</site>

Like said from other this is a third party site, please test with a
"forrest seed" site.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: forrest site behaves unintuitively

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Terrence Brannon wrote:
> I was browsing a 0.7-version Forrest site:
>   http://www.xmlbelux.be/index.html
>
> And if you click on the _word_ "Events" in the menubar (on the lefthand
> side of the screen), then it simply refreshes whatever page you are
> looking at.
>
> This is not intuitive or reasonable IMHO.

Tell the site designers. This is an error in their sources or in their
custom skin - not in Forrest itself.

Ross