Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Jon Stefansson <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/30 02:54:23 UTC

Any practical limits to the number of znodes?

I am considering using ZooKeeper as a Lock mechanism in an application that
eventually could produce several hundred thousand znodes per day. The znodes
will contain little or no data. There will just be a lot of them.
I don't see anything in the ZooKeeper documentation regarding znode size
constraints. Is this a good use case for ZooKeeper?

Re: Any practical limits to the number of znodes?

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Jon,
  We do not have any limit on the number of znodes in Zookeeper. Its mainly
limited by memory, since it keeps the whole namespace in memory.

Also the lock mechanism is a good use case for zookeeper.
It is listed as one of the recipes for zookeeper.

http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/r3.0.1/recipes.html#sc_recipes_Locks

mahadev