Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stuart Roebuck <sr...@adolos.com> on 2000/05/09 12:11:49 UTC

Memory 'leak' in Cocoon 1.7.3?

We've been happily running Cocoon 1.7.2 for some weeks and I updated to
1.7.3 yesterday.  All works fine, except that, after a while the machine
locks up and appears to run out of memory.  I suspect that if I wasn't
running a pre version 1 (Apple) Darwin based system it might cope a little
better but the underlying issue may be affecting others in the form of
paging slowdowns.  All this said, I haven't confirmed the details yet.

I notice that 1.7.3 has introduced cache configuration options.  Can
anyone tell me what's changed on the caching side, and whether the 60Mb
memory settings in the default properties file represents the same defaults
as in 1.7.2?

Any suggestions or comments from people experiencing similar symptoms
would be welcome.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Re: Memory 'leak' in Cocoon 1.7.3?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stuart Roebuck wrote:

> We've been happily running Cocoon 1.7.2 for some weeks and I updated to
> 1.7.3 yesterday.  All works fine, except that, after a while the machine
> locks up and appears to run out of memory.  I suspect that if I wasn't
> running a pre version 1 (Apple) Darwin based system it might cope a little
> better but the underlying issue may be affecting others in the form of
> paging slowdowns.  All this said, I haven't confirmed the details yet.
>
> I notice that 1.7.3 has introduced cache configuration options.  Can
> anyone tell me what's changed on the caching side, and whether the 60Mb
> memory settings in the default properties file represents the same defaults
> as in 1.7.2?

ASAIK, nothing changed on the caching side between 1.7.2 and 1.7.3, make
sure it's not a problem in your JVM.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: Memory 'leak' in Cocoon 1.7.3?

Posted by Michel Lehon <Mi...@Outwares.com>.
> From: Stuart Roebuck [mailto:sr@adolos.com]
>
> We've been happily running Cocoon 1.7.2 for some weeks and I updated to
> 1.7.3 yesterday.  All works fine, except that, after a while the machine
> locks up and appears to run out of memory.  I suspect that if I wasn't
> running a pre version 1 (Apple) Darwin based system it might cope
> a little
> better but the underlying issue may be affecting others in the form of
> paging slowdowns.  All this said, I haven't confirmed the details yet.
>
> I notice that 1.7.3 has introduced cache configuration options.  Can
> anyone tell me what's changed on the caching side, and whether the 60Mb
> memory settings in the default properties file represents the
> same defaults
> as in 1.7.2?

The 60Mb is when then MemoryStore (part of the cache subsystem) starts to
free memory
If your JVM sets the max size of the Heap to less then 64Mb (that's the
default for some JVMs)
then you must update this value to something less than that max heap size.
Usually the max heap size is set with the -mx or -Xmx switches.

Anyway if the systems runs too low in mem, it behaves like 1.7.2

the new system should only imporve the situation :)).

Feedback from problems using the background cleanup scheme is more than
welcome.

> Stuart.

Michel Lehon
Michel.lehon@Outwares.com