Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Casto <ro...@cincijava.com> on 2001/10/25 04:39:38 UTC

Launching subprocess under Tomcat as a Service

To all,

I have a servlet that spawns a process to generate PDF reports. When I run
Tomcat 3.2.3 using the startup.bat method, everything works fine. The
subprocess runs, completes its task, and my Servlet returns and completes
its processing. The problem comes when running Tomcat as a service using
jk_nt_service.exe. My Servlet will run, all of my webpages will work, but
when my Servlet spawns the subprocess to generate the PDF file, it hangs. I
have tried changing the settings of the service to log in as various users
with no luck. Any suggestions on how to ensure that the subprocess will
execute while running Tomcat as a service. NOTE: This problem occurs whether
I am using NT4 SP6 or Win2k.

Robert Casto

 CinciJava | Java Development and Training

Robert Casto | robert@cincijava.com
513-349-JAVA | www.cincijava.com

Re: Launching subprocess under Tomcat as a Service

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Robert Casto at robert@cincijava.com wrote:

> To all,
>
> I have a servlet that spawns a process to generate PDF reports. When I run
> Tomcat 3.2.3 using the startup.bat method, everything works fine. The
> subprocess runs, completes its task, and my Servlet returns and completes
> its processing. The problem comes when running Tomcat as a service using
> jk_nt_service.exe. My Servlet will run, all of my webpages will work, but
> when my Servlet spawns the subprocess to generate the PDF file, it hangs. I
> have tried changing the settings of the service to log in as various users
> with no luck. Any suggestions on how to ensure that the subprocess will
> execute while running Tomcat as a service. NOTE: This problem occurs whether
> I am using NT4 SP6 or Win2k.

Make sure your service has access to the desktop, that is usually required
for some rendering stuff (there's a checkbox somewhere, I can't remember the
name exactly as - luckily - my windows days are long gone :)

    Pier

RE: Launching subprocess under Tomcat as a Service

Posted by Robert Casto <ro...@cincijava.com>.
I have been dealing with this problem for some time. I would like it very
much if someone would reply and let me know if they have experienced the
same problem and if so, how they dealt with it.