Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com> on 2004/08/21 19:37:04 UTC

project layout implementation question

I recently was put on to a new project and spent most of yesterday
puzzling through this and trying to figure out the best way to do this.
Admittedly this is more than just a project layout question, there are
some other larger issues at play here that I would like to pose to the
list to help figure out the best way to do this.

We have a Struts application that was written for one client. This
application was then used for another client (copy the code, modify,
deploy). This happened many times, then they created a base application
which could then be used as the "skeleton" app and created a client
directories for only the files that needed to get modified. I now have
the dubious honor of creating a new client and have been trying to
mavenize it from the old ant build which contains many targets that are
common to all client projects (ie - these would make great plugins).

Now I'm struggling with how to best incorporate the master skeleton
files into this client project. Here is what I came up with, but would
love feedback from others.

Option 1: One thing to do would be to copy the files from the skeleton
in a pre-compile goal so that they get built along with the changed
files. I would also need to do the same with the webapp files.

Option 2: Create a build for the master project that builds everything
into a jar file and make a dependency on it. I would still have to copy
the webapp files down to the client when building the war. And I also
don't know if any "core" java files get modified in the client (they
shouldn't, it should be an inheritance thing, but again I don't know).

That's about all I came up with, without rearchitecting the whole
application at this time (which it undoubtedly needs, but I can't
afford that time right now, hopefully in the near future I can examine
this possibility further).

Hoping to hear some good suggestions.

-warner