Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sankaranarayanan (Ganesh) Ganapathy" <sg...@vitria.com> on 2002/07/16 01:10:28 UTC

Coyote, JK and JK2

Hi All,

How does JK2 differ JK. If I want to set up tomcat4.0.3 against apache1.3.26 which one should I be using?

How are coyote connectors different from the JK connectors ? Can somebody explain?

Also I see that none of the release version of JK connectors are available at http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/. Is there someplace else I should look for ? or is the only option is to build them from source?

For tomcat4.0.3 atleast the win32 and solaris8 JK binaries were available. I dont find them for tomcat4.0.4 , am I missing something here?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanx in advance,
Ganesh

Re: Coyote, JK and JK2

Posted by Eddie Bush <ed...@vestus.adabbs.com>.
My (probably poor) understanding is that Coyote is the "newest and best"
Http connector.  It's my understanding this would be your best choice
for a stand-alone Tomcat installation, if you're running Tomcat 4.1.x.
 So far as the *_jk connectors go, I further have the impression that
mod_jk is the more solid, robust choice - mod_jk2 has come about to
address Apache2, and is (I believe) a new code-base.  Probably you want
to be using mod_jk.  I use mod_jk successfully with Apache 1.3.23.

You can find mod_jk.so (or mod_jk.dll) in the Tomcat 3.3 distribution
tree.  AFAIK these DSOs will fully and correctly support whatever you
want to do.  That's where I got mine from, and it works fine from what I
can tell.  You could always build them from source.  If you choose to do
that, search the distribution heirarchy thoroughly.  They are a bit
"scattered", to put it quite plainly.  You will find them though ;-)

Regards,

Eddie