Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Bob Stine <bo...@waltonstine.net> on 2004/02/11 14:57:52 UTC

Final Answer? forcing fields to upper-case

Here's what I hope will be my final remark on forcing field values to upper-case.

Two approaches have been identified:

1. CSS, using the {text-transform: uppercase}
2. The Tapestry ValidField component.
   Requires writing and declaring a java class that implements
   the IValidator method; one approach is to extend StringValidator.
   Also requires the containinig Form component to declare a "delegate".

Approach 1 is easy and quick; it is appropriate for cases when the available data may be
in mixed case but always needs to be displayed in upper case.  It does not, however,
actually clean up input data.

Approach 2 is more involved to implement, but it can be used to edit or clean up input
data.

Re: Out of Memory Exception

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.
This is not a Tapestry issue. I have read something about this in the
tomcat mailing lists a while ago that when a class is reloaded, there is
some memory that cannot be regained or something to that effect.

-Harish

Re: Out of Memory Exception

Posted by Jim Frederic <jf...@innodata-isogen.com>.
Another possible explanation, if you have tapestry caching disabled:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/3593

Jeff Markham wrote:

> This might help:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/memory.html
>
> Kenny Chong wrote:
>
>> After reloading tapestry application N times in tomcat, tomcat throws
>> Out of
>> Memory exception when loading a tapestry page.

Jim Frederic
Innodata Isogen
9390 Research Blvd
Kaleido I, Suite 410
Austin, TX 78759
Tel: +(1) 512.372.8155
           512.372.8122
Fax: +(1) 512.372.8133
Web: http://www.innodata-isogen.com

Re: Out of Memory Exception

Posted by Jeff Markham <je...@markhamsoft.com>.
This might help:

Out of Memory Exception

Posted by Kenny Chong <ke...@hotmail.com>.

RE: Final Answer? forcing fields to upper-case

Posted by Larry Streepy <la...@staffmix.com>.
I may be throwing gas on a nearly dead fire, but it seems that method 2
below is sort of a hack.  Yes, it works, but it forces you to create all the
surrounding crud for the validator (like the delegate).

Given that Tapestry is a component model, why not create a simple
TransformField component that lets you specify a method (or some other
simple specification of the transform to apply) to do what you want to the
input data?  Seems like a cleaner, more extensible solution that fits in
line with Tapestry's design philosophy.

Anyway, just another idea.
Larry.