Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "alan.gerhard" <al...@gercom.com> on 2003/02/26 23:30:36 UTC

The Error Processor -

James Users -

I seem to be experiencing an anomaly with the way the Error
Processor handles it's errors.

I am running 2.1.2 and have a simple configuration - uses
the Virtual Table but not the SmartHost as I have discussed
earlier - this is a production box.

All spam is sent to NULL. I am not using anything special
other then the black hole lists.

All errors, as processed by the Error Processor, are sent to
a file based repository and then sent to the POSTMASTER
account.

Lately I have been getting mails to the POSTMASTER account
that I do not understand; it appears that the original mail
that generated the error is sent to the POSTMASTER (as it
should) but then that mail generates an error and it too is
sent to the POSTMASTER account.

So what happens is that I am getting 2 mails for each error.

Since I am receiving these mails via the POSTMASTER account,
I am making the assumption that there is no problem in
delivering mail there; which is why this appears bazaar to
me.

My concern is that I James is now processing unnecessary
error mail - or that the Error Processor is sending the mail
to it's self once too many times.

Thanks,
Alan

The mail that gets retrieved from the POSTMASTER account
follows. I have XXXXXX-ed out some information and the
ferhet@XXX.com is to a non-existant user at the correct
domain.

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:22:07 -0500 (EST)
From: POSTMASTER@xxxxxx.com
To: POSTMASTER@xxxxxx.com
Subject: Re:You Have Been APPROVED

------=_Part_52_4576292.1046276527688

We were unable to deliver the attached message because of an
error in the mail
server.

Message details:
  Sent date: Wed Feb 26 11:22:07 EST 2003
  To: POSTMASTER@xxxxxx.com
  Size (in bytes): 1426

------=_Part_52_4576292.1046276527688

------=_Part_50_790439.1046276527563

We were unable to deliver the attached message because of an
error in the mail
server.

Message details:
  Subject: You Have Been APPROVED
  Sent date: Thu Feb 27 22:22:01 EST 2003
  To: <fe...@XXXXXX.com>
  Size (in bytes): 893

RE: The Error Processor -

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
One question is why the e-mail to postmaster is causing an error.  I receive
e-mail to postmaster without error.

If you turn on DEBUG for the spooler, you should be able to watch that
message go to the error processor.  What happens after that, as it goes
through the next set of matchers and mailets?

	--- Noel

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:22:07 -0500 (EST)
From: POSTMASTER@xxxxxx.com
To: POSTMASTER@xxxxxx.com

------=_Part_52_4576292.1046276527688

We were unable to deliver the attached message because of an
error in the mail
server.

Message details:
  Sent date: Wed Feb 26 11:22:07 EST 2003
  To: POSTMASTER@xxxxxx.com
  Size (in bytes): 1426

------=_Part_52_4576292.1046276527688

------=_Part_50_790439.1046276527563

We were unable to deliver the attached message because of an
error in the mail
server.

Message details:
  Sent date: Thu Feb 27 22:22:01 EST 2003