Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2005/01/20 13:23:19 UTC

is anyone else using this yet? What is their experience?

I am starting to move to it. I am also thinking of some enhancements

1. For <mavenrepository> always download pom and license files if
present. With "pom:boolean" and "license:boolean" flags to
enable/disable this. License is useful, pom may be useful in future...

2. add a new magic property to let people override the ibiblio mirror
for all their projects.

3. make the default library the same place maven stores their files.

4. implement Russel's suggestion of fileset+filelist type generation. ;
plus whatever changes something to make it easy to turn the libs into
the libraries in a WAR/EAR file

5. Better error handling if things fail. Like correct line selection of
<library> tags, maybe better diagnosis. Though what you can do when
nothing is there, I dont know.

I also think it would be convenient with my life if as well as loading
~/.ant/lib, that we had a properties file with my own customisations,
say  ~/.ant/build.properties

That way I could set up things like proxy, maven repository, etc, in one
place and have everything track it. I thought maybe we did this already,
but couldnt see it in the docs or the source.

-steve

NB, there is some discussion in the repository mail list about future
changes to how maven repository works

-move to fully qualified naming "org.apache.xerces"

-proper signatures

no real progress or implementation yet, but it'd be nice if this stuff
was coming together for ant1.7

Re:

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Steve Loughran wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Steve Loughran wrote:
>>> License is useful, pom may be useful in future...
>>
>> Do you have a specific idea on this? :->
>
> Not yet, no. But it might be useful to start collecting them.

IMHO it's about defaults.

A simple project always has the same properties in the build file, and
Maven has collected them in an xml file and an object model.

Ant usually uses properties, so we could think that it could make sense
if Ant had an analogous definition of common properties.

Ant tasks could have each a typedef that uses these default values for
auto configuration.

So for a simple project one could just make a property file with these
properties, and call the typedeffed tasks.

Instead of doing:

build.properties
   src= whatever
   build= whatever

build.xml
   <project>
     <property file="build.properties "/>
     <javac srcdir="${src}"
            destdir="${build}"
            fork="yes"
     />
   </project>

One would have:

project.properties
   ant.project.src.dir= whatever
   ant.project.build.dir = whatever
   ant.task.javac.fork = yes

build.xml
   <project>
     <project:javac/>
   </project>

This is why I asked if IYO the pom is useful, as IMHO there could be a
pomproperty task that loads these properties from a pom... is this
similar to what you had in mind?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re:

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>

>> is anyone else using this yet? What is their experience?
>

> I am not using it but the Cocoon project, that uses Ant, would like to
> download artifacts, and I would like to use it for JDNC.
>
> I'm not sure how to propose the use of this now, maybe if it were
> packaged as an antlib and buildable separately...
>
> WDYT about Maven Wagon in this regard?

I am blissfully ignorant.

>> I am starting to move to it. I am also thinking of some enhancements
>>
>> 1. For <mavenrepository> always download pom and license files if
>> present. With "pom:boolean" and "license:boolean" flags to
>> enable/disable this.
>

> IMHO this is good, and both should be enabled by default.

as it stands there  is no .pom or .license with every artifact in the
repository; the proposed rework should add this.

>> License is useful, pom may be useful in future...
>

> Do you have a specific idea on this? :->

Not yet, no. But it might be useful to start collecting them.

>> 2. add a new magic property to let people override the ibiblio mirror
>> for all their projects.
>

> Yup.

done.

>> 3. make the default library the same place maven stores their files.
>

> Definatley!!!

done.

>> 4. implement Russel's suggestion of fileset+filelist type generation.
>> ; plus whatever changes something to make it easy to turn the libs
>> into the libraries in a WAR/EAR file
>

> :-)

todo

-steve

Re:

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Steve Loughran wrote:

> is anyone else using this yet? What is their experience?

I am not using it but the Cocoon project, that uses Ant, would like to
download artifacts, and I would like to use it for JDNC.

I'm not sure how to propose the use of this now, maybe if it were
packaged as an antlib and buildable separately...

WDYT about Maven Wagon in this regard?

> I am starting to move to it. I am also thinking of some enhancements
>
> 1. For <mavenrepository> always download pom and license files if
> present. With "pom:boolean" and "license:boolean" flags to
> enable/disable this.

IMHO this is good, and both should be enabled by default.

> License is useful, pom may be useful in future...

Do you have a specific idea on this? :->

> 2. add a new magic property to let people override the ibiblio mirror
> for all their projects.

Yup.

Re:

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

>>>2. add a new magic property to let people override the ibiblio
>>>mirror for all their projects.
>> Do we have a magic property to not use any mirror
>> (like maven --offline)?
>
> good point.

I know at least one customer who'd use that.  Gump.

>> Do we really want to use magic properties at all?  This also
>> includes ant.maven.repository.dir.
>
> yeah,

OK.  I agree.

> and we want to maybe rename it to what maven use, and mark maven.*
> as reserved.

+0

Cheers

        Stefan

Re:

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>is anyone else using this yet?
>

> No.  So take whatever I write with a grain of salt or two.
>

>>1. For <mavenrepository> always download pom and license files if
>>present.
>

> Making that optional should be enough.

current structure doesnt have a .pom or .license for every file; its moot.

>>2. add a new magic property to let people override the ibiblio
>>mirror for all their projects.
>

> Do we have a magic property to not use any mirror
> (like maven --offline)?

good point.

> Do we really want to use magic properties at all?  This also includes
> ant.maven.repository.dir.

yeah, and we want to maybe rename it to what maven use, and mark maven.*
as reserved.

the rationale is that you can then switch anyone's build.xml to use
whatever cache you've chosen.

There is some fun with proxy servers to address too; our work network
lets all traffic on ports other than 80 in and out, but forces you to
proxy port 80. this makes things that assume no proxy break big time,
and I dont want to field all those support calls.

>>I also think it would be convenient with my life if as well as
>>customisations, say ~/.ant/build.properties
>

> Sure, if I can turn it off with --noconfig.

okay.

>>I thought maybe we did this already, but couldnt see it in the docs
>>or the source.
>

> We are sourcing ~/.ant/ant.conf so you could make it something like
>
> if [ -z "$ANT_ARGS" ]; then
>     ANT_ARGS="-propertyfile $HOME/.ant/build.properties"
> else
>     ANT_ARGS="$ANT_ARGS -propertyfile $HOME/.ant/build.properties"
> fi
>

> [[[ may break if $HOME contains spaces ]]]

As usual :)

Incidentally, does anyone test with Ant running in a dir with high
unicode characters? Axis on Tomcat is failing on Japanese systems with
this as a problem, one that seems inherent to Tomcat.

Re:

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> is anyone else using this yet?

No.  So take whatever I write with a grain of salt or two.

> 1. For <mavenrepository> always download pom and license files if
> present.

Making that optional should be enough.

> 2. add a new magic property to let people override the ibiblio
> mirror for all their projects.

Do we have a magic property to not use any mirror
(like maven --offline)?

Do we really want to use magic properties at all?  This also includes
ant.maven.repository.dir.

> 3. make the default library the same place maven stores their files.

Yes.

> 4. implement Russel's suggestion of fileset+filelist type
> generation.

Sounds useful.

> 5. Better error handling if things fail.

8-)  Applies to almost all tasks.

Re:

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Matt Benson wrote:
>>
>>>I think we've had requests for automatic <import>
>>>invocations as well, while we're talking about
>>>automatic stuff...
>>
>>I don't understand, could you please explain a bit
>>more in detail?
>>TIA
>
> The most obvious use for automatic <import>s would be
> to auto-[type|task]def things for use in the default
> namespace.  This use is arguable as to need; I'm sure
> this would address other situations but just now I
> don't remember what those are.  ;)

;-)

The most important thing IMHO is that antlibs (which are the modern-day
type-task-defs) can be automatically downloaded and used just by
referencing them. This is a subsequent step after <libraries>.

Having them in the default namespace is IMHO not ok, as it can create
unnecessary collisions.

> Another thing I would like to see is the ability to
> add directories to Ant's classpath (without using
> CLASSPATH) so that antlibs could live as standalone
> XML files in the case where an antlib, for example,
> consists only of macrodefs and presetdefs and refers
> to no extra-Ant classes.

Well, you just need support for non-jarred antlibs.

It seems to me that automatic <import> opens more problems than it
solves, especially when these can be solved better on their own...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re:

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Matt Benson wrote:
> > I think we've had requests for automatic <import>
> > invocations as well, while we're talking about
> > automatic stuff...
>
> I don't understand, could you please explain a bit
> more in detail?
> TIA

The most obvious use for automatic <import>s would be
to auto-[type|task]def things for use in the default
namespace.  This use is arguable as to need; I'm sure
this would address other situations but just now I
don't remember what those are.  ;)

Another thing I would like to see is the ability to
add directories to Ant's classpath (without using
CLASSPATH) so that antlibs could live as standalone
XML files in the case where an antlib, for example,
consists only of macrodefs and presetdefs and refers
to no extra-Ant classes.

-Matt

Re:

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.