Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2013/09/25 00:54:15 UTC

Shipping Groovy in Bigtop

Hi!

for the work on BIGTOP-952 I've got
a Groovy script that does the job.
Question is -- what to do about Groovy
itself. I see two choices:
   1. make Groovy jars available as part
    of bigtop-utils

    2. introduce a full fledged bigtop-groovy

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Shipping Groovy in Bigtop

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> While I don't have a strong opposition to the 2 options, aren't there 2
> more options here:
> 3. We detect GROOVY_HOME and let our users download and install groovy
> themselves? We do this for Java (albeit, for licensing reasons), however,
> pulling in our own groovy just for init-hdfs.sh seems like an overkill.
> 4. Wrap the groovy script into a jar and run that jar on java instead.
>
> Since init-hdfs.sh is the first groovy script in Bigtop packages, I am
> inclined towards #4. If we do end up writing more and more groovy scripts,
> then we start bundling in our own groovy.

As I replied in a different part of this thread -- in this particular case
I don't actually mind simply delivering it as a java-based implementation.

That said, I think there's a great deal of benefits for scripts like this
one to be implemented in a scripting language that Bigtop users
can actually look at right there on the system and potentially extend
to suit their particular needs by simply editing the script itself.

Given that Hadoop is a JVM-based platform -- we're stuck with
JVM-based scripting languages if we want to be anywhere near
reasonable in terms of overall performance.

I filed:

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.
I would vote for #4 or #3, but I don't feel strongly enough to oppose other
options if someone's willing to do the work.

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.