Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by gabriele cicala <ga...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/09 16:21:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse proxy toward an https backend server

Hi all.

I'm trying to solve a problem regarding the ProxyPass question.

I set a reverse proxy using apache to hyde an application server like
Tomcat.
A quick scheme is the following....

(client browser)-------->reverse proxy (Apache)-------->Tomcat (using SSL
socket Layer)

The client authentication is using the client certificate for both, reverse
proxy and application server (Tomcat).

The problem is how to pass the client certificate to the application server,
or else how to permit to tomcat to ask for the client certification.
After the Apache reverse proxy authentication I receive a "Bad Gateway"
(Error 502) and nothing about the Tomcat authentication.

Is it possible to deploy this architecture?

Is yes what does I need to set in the httpd-ssl.conf file?

Thank you in advance for your suggestion.

Best regards.
Gabriele Cicala