Posted to dev@juneau.apache.org by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com> on 2016/09/30 16:29:30 UTC

Juneau new release guidelines.

New release guidelines are finished:

<goog_1805653564>
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JUNEAU/New+release+guidelines

I'm ready to start a vote for juneau-6.0.0-incubating-RC1.

--
James Bognar

Re: Juneau new release guidelines.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I think instead of multiple RELEASE-NOTES (which sounds like they will
easily be forgotten about) I would have a look at  using
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-changes-plugin/usage.html

to add the jira report - either just to the web site (and link to it
from the README) or using mvn changes:announcement-generate  and then
copy from target/*something.txt to RELEASE-NOTES.txt

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Juneau new release guidelines.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I've updated the release note docs (which is very nice!) to link to
the newer mail archive
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@juneau.apache.org

It has much nicer threading, so I don't think we need to include the
rigid on the Taverna doc, we stopped doing that)

.. but including the [RESULT][VOTE] permalink when forwarding to
general@incubator is important - specially to move forward the
IPMC-binding  votes.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Thanks, I think you have made a much better version; hope you don't mind me
merging back again!

Is it OK if I fix some small things in the wiki (e.g. forgot svn mv of
binaries) or should I note it on this list? (Not sure if I have wiki access)

Posted by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>.
> Maybe a better way to put it is maybe the list should be in chronological
> order.

Did some reordering, added JIRA instructions, got rid of the project-level
RELEASE-NOTES, renamed $X_VERSION to $X_RELEASE for clarity, and added
DISCLAIMER.

> Does your binary also shade in your 3rd party deps?

The juneau-samples.jar file is an executable uber jar that includes all 3rd
party dependencies.  That's the only place we include them.

Still working on Git forking instructions.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I don't agree with the lightweight approach of PPMC, although technically a
podlong vote is not required, the podling should operate like a Top Level
Project in training from the start (with some rough bumps :-).

That said, I think in the beginning it's best for the PPMC release votes to
focus on the technical side, while IPMC votes (including binding votes from
mentors) should catch any license/IP discrepancies. The first incubator
releases don't have to be picture perfect, that's why we have the
DISCLAIMER file ☺

Later on both of these roles would be fulfilled by the PPMC (aspiring PMC)
vote.  But to get there we have to start with following the release process
in principle.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12320520&version=12338351