Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by أبو عبد الله محمد يوسف الرابحي <yo...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/14 12:50:12 UTC

Complex Script Support

hi all,
i have compiled the new Fop source with glenn's patch...
i have "Foped" a test fo file with some Arabic text (see the attached
ara.fo and ara.pdf); and at the moment i can give the following
remarqs:
1- mixed text (Arabic with Latin) is improperly ordered by the bidi processing,
2- mirrored chars are incorrectly processed (maybe the cause is that
Marks are not yet processed).
3- the Hamza letter (U+0621 ARABIC LETTER HAMZA) is a non-joining
letter, but letters surrounding an Hamza  are joined with it.
4- Justification is perturbed when Arabic text is present.
i think that Glenn's patch is a good base to fop's Complex scripts
processing... so more and more improvements are necessary.
p.s:1- I am a Natif Arabic speaker (and writer). 2-excuse my english.

Re: Complex Script Support

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
يوسف

Thanks for your feedback. As I mention in the patch, it is preliminary, and
far from adequately tested, as well as having known problems.

Your input will be valuable in assisting me to address the important
problems most quickly. In the future, you can help even more by providing
example input and output files containing the least amount of content that
produces an error. I can readily see a number of problems in the example
output you sent, but it takes me a bit longer to piece together minimalist
examples.

I'll let you know when a new update to the complex script patch is posted
that fixes these issues.

Regards,
Glenn Adams