Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/08/22 15:09:21 UTC

Release date for httpclient 2.0 final?

Hi,

I'm finishing a book on unit testing java applications (JUnit in
Action). I'm using Cactus in some chapters, which in turn uses
Commons-httpclient. The version of httpclient I'm using in the book is
currently 2.0-rc1. However, in anticipation of a future final release of
2.0, I've taken the risk to refer to the 2.0 version in the different
chapters of the book.

I'd like to know if you have a target date for the 2.0 release so that I
can check if it will happen before the publication of my book or
after... :-)

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: Release date for httpclient 2.0 final?

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> [javadoc] It is a
> painfully slow and unpleasant undertaking. It will take a few rainy
> weekends. I fear there may be no final release until late October - mid
> November.

Sounds realistic too, as the rainy weekends have been quite sparse in
Switzerland recently...

RE: Release date for httpclient 2.0 final?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Oleg,

Besides,
> there is still one major task to be finished: javadoc cleanup. It is a
> painfully slow and unpleasant undertaking. It will take a few rainy
> weekends. I fear there may be no final release until late October -
mid
> November. Yet, I will be glad to be proven wrong.
>
> When is your book to go to print?

It will go to print in about 2 weeks from now. It should be available
for general consumption around 2nd week of October. Which means 2.0 will
ptobably not be out yet.

Ok, then my anticipation was not quite correct (but close)... I'll
probably still keep the 2.0 reference in screenshots but I'll make a
note about the RC versions in the appendix defining which software
versions to use while running the book examples.

Thanks
-Vincent

[snip]

RE: Release date for httpclient 2.0 final?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Vincent,

Truth to be told, I see late September as not impossible but highly
unlikely 2.0 final release date. We have had way too many bug reports
recently (nothing really critical but just too many) to be in a position
to rush the final release. There will be at least RC2 and RC3. Besides,
there is still one major task to be finished: javadoc cleanup. It is a
painfully slow and unpleasant undertaking. It will take a few rainy
weekends. I fear there may be no final release until late October - mid
November. Yet, I will be glad to be proven wrong.

When is your book to go to print?

Kind regards,

Oleg

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.