Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Colin de Verdiere <td...@scort.com> on 2002/05/13 17:18:17 UTC

tag reuse in ATG

Hi ,
  i already had an experience with that.
In fact ATG have a pool of Tag. It uses tags even if the AttSet (the set
attributes) is not the same.

Here is a message from ATG, they should do in the next version a server
jsp1.2 compliant which is not today.
Tell me if it is not the problem (maybe another), could you tell which
version of ATG dynamo you use? i did use 5.5.

Here is my question, reponse is under.

 > Hi , it may be not the place but one of our customer is experiencing
 > problems with atg dynamo
 > and a custom action taglib, tags are not initialized correctly, the pool
 > of tag handlers seems not to work
 > as Jsp specification describe (specifically on Life cycle).
 > Initialization of tags have been set in specific method which is
called in
 > doEndTag ( for reuse)
 > an release() because even on page context atg does not seem to reset
 > attributes properties to 'unspecified value'. (as in the specification
 > jsp1.2 - chap 10.1)

--------------------
in reference to the spec, JSP1_2.10.1.1:

 > Once a release method is invoked all properties, including parent
 > and pageContext, are assumed to have been reset to an unspecified value.

I think that you are misreading the spec here.  The spec is telling you
that after
release() is called on a tag handler instance, you should make no
assumptions about
the values of properties -- they are literally unspecified.  They are
not set to the
string "unspecified value"; rather the spec is telling you that after
release() is
called the property values are entirely container-dependant.  Basically,
once
release() is called, the container has re-claimed the tag handler for
pooling or
re-use, so you should not try to use the instance again for anything.

One other thing to note:  You are quoting the JSP1.2 spec here, but the
version of
Dynamo that you are using is a JSP1.1 container.

Matt LaMantia
Art Technology Group

Thomas Colin de Verdière
SCORT