Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Ryan Johnson <rj...@gwmail.gwu.edu> on 2010/02/18 21:26:54 UTC

SSH service on Windows Base Image

I am trying to complete the instructions for Installing and configuring
cygwin sshd, part of the instructions for creating a Windows base image.  I
do not think I quite understand how the permissions should be set up.
 Before running the *cygwin-sshd-config.sh* script I had mapped the root
user in the /etc/passwd file to the current Administrator account I was
logged in as.  I then logged into cygwin as root and ran the *
cygwin-sshd-config.sh *script which took me through the process of creating
the privileged user cyg_server.  Ultimately I get the error 'The service did
not start due to a logon failure'.  Also the script seems to overwrite the
root entry I placed in the passwd file.  Any clarification as to the
permissions would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan Johnson
Academic Technologies
George Washington University

Re: SSH service on Windows Base Image

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
This is correct.  There needs to be a user named root which is a member of the
Administrators group.  Anything Cygwin-related should be done while logged in to
Windows as root.  I would not manually alter the passwd file.  The
cygwin-sshd-config.sh does this for you.  It regenerates both the /etc/group and
/etc/passwd files based on the Windows accounts that exist on the computer.

Also, when you create the root account you should configure the
WINDOWS_ROOT_PASSWORD line in /etc/vcl/vcld.conf.

Hope this helps,
Andy

--
Andy Kurth
Virtual Computing Lab

Re: SSH service on Windows Base Image

Posted by David Marchevsky <da...@gwmail.gwu.edu>.
Ryan,

You can fix this issue by creating a user on the virtual machine (windows)
called root. Make sure to give it a strong password, though.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Ryan Johnson <rj...@gwmail.gwu.edu>wrote:

> I am trying to complete the instructions for Installing and configuring
> cygwin sshd, part of the instructions for creating a Windows base image.  I
> do not think I quite understand how the permissions should be set up.
>  Before running the *cygwin-sshd-config.sh* script I had mapped the root
> user in the /etc/passwd file to the current Administrator account I was
> logged in as.  I then logged into cygwin as root and ran the *
> cygwin-sshd-config.sh *script which took me through the process of creating
> the privileged user cyg_server.  Ultimately I get the error 'The service
> did
> not start due to a logon failure'.  Also the script seems to overwrite the
> root entry I placed in the passwd file.  Any clarification as to the
> permissions would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Ryan Johnson
> Academic Technologies
> George Washington University

--