Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2007/09/12 21:06:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] OK to start the process of bringing UIMA JMS to the UIMA project via a new software grant?

Some time ago, we started a thread on some UIMA extensions that made use
of JMS to support an alternative scale-out approach that moved much of
the middleware code out of UIMA itself and into other standard
middleware, such as Apache's ActiveMQ.  We posted some initial
documentation on what this was on the UIMA wiki at
http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/uimaasdoc.html

Is there any further discussion we need to do before starting the work
to bring this into the UIMA project under a specific software grant?

-Marshall

Re: [DISCUSS] OK to start the process of bringing UIMA JMS to the UIMA project via a new software grant?

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Hi Marshall,

Marshall Schor wrote:
[...]
> Re: JMS APIs and licensing:  I see in the mail archives that questions
> around JMS licensing have come up before.  ActiveMQ, in particular, an
> Apache project, makes use of JMS, and in fact, our imports of things
> like the API type "javax.jms.Connection" come from the jar:
> apache-activemq-4.1.1.jar.
>
> These kinds of issues are important, and are usually worked out by the
> community in the incubator, after receiving the software, prior to the
> first "release".

in that case I'm in favor of putting this code
in the sandbox and work out the kinks there.

--Thilo

Re: [DISCUSS] OK to start the process of bringing UIMA JMS to the UIMA project via a new software grant?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>
>> Some time ago, we started a thread on some UIMA extensions that made use
>> of JMS to support an alternative scale-out approach that moved much of
>> the middleware code out of UIMA itself and into other standard
>> middleware, such as Apache's ActiveMQ.  We posted some initial
>> documentation on what this was on the UIMA wiki at
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/uimaasdoc.html
>>
>> Is there any further discussion we need to do before starting the work
>> to bring this into the UIMA project under a specific software grant?
>>
>> -Marshall
>>

> My only concern is that I don't want to burden the core
> distribution with a) code that most people don't need
> and b) dependencies this code has.  What dependencies are
> there?  Are you thinking of creating a separate
> distribution with a bundled ActiveMQ?  What about the
> JMS APIs, what license are they under?  Any other licensing
> issues?

Good points.

I agree that it would be good to not burden users with things they don't
want/need.  The current packaging does add 2 jars, some docs, and some
scripts, but not the dependencies (like ActiveMQ or Spring).  We have a
special "run-this-to-download-other-needed-dependencies" script that
users run that gets these - it depends on "Ant", though, and because of
this, we do bundle Ant (in the current packaging).

I think the packaging(s) of this are up for re-do, as part of the move
to Apache.  We could consider *additional* packagings that bundled these
dependencies, as well.  We could consider packagings that strip out
other things users don't want.  So, over time, our download site could
have a set of packages and users could download just what they wanted,
or maybe some other approach based on other Apache tooling could be used
to help us build a variety of packagings.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.