Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com> on 2008/02/06 23:48:03 UTC

Disabling javadoc generation

Would anyone object to the disabling of javadoc building by default?  The
javadoc generation seems to dominate every other phase in my building and
accounts for 50% of the total time to build.  Moreover, most of the time I'm
not even going to use that javadoc because I'm building to test something.

Obviously, I'd still push it through for any released artifacts, but it
strikes me as being unnecessarily time consuming in everyday use.

If no one objects, I'll dig into how to do this in maven, as I'm not even
sure how to control it quite yet.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Disabling javadoc generation

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.

> This comes down to separation of the code modules by Java
> version ... You don't want separate javadocs for Java 1.5 and 1.6.
> Also, why is that a problem for CI - the build happens
> automatically, so it doesn't matter if it is (reasonably) slow.

Actually that javadoc script is running on people.a.o so I wanted to
keep the load down. But given what you just said, it is much easier to
leave it as is and really the time taken is not excessive at all.

Ari

-------------------------->
ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001

Re: Disabling javadoc generation

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Feb 7, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> I still have a script running which generates nightly javadoc for
> the web site, but it goes through the opposite hurdle: it needs to
> perform a full install in order to create a source jar which can be
> used to create the javadocs. If the javadocs were just created from
> the source itself that step might not be needed.

This comes down to separation of the code modules by Java version ...
You don't want separate javadocs for Java 1.5 and 1.6. Also, why is
that a problem for CI - the build happens automatically, so it doesn't
matter if it is (reasonably) slow.

Andrus

Re: Disabling javadoc generation

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.
I still have a script running which generates nightly javadoc for the
web site, but it goes through the opposite hurdle: it needs to perform
a full install in order to create a source jar which can be used to
create the javadocs. If the javadocs were just created from the source
itself that step might not be needed.

Kevin, if you are tinkering with the build script maybe you could
figure how that ties together. I'm growing to hate it less, but maven
still makes my head hurt.

Also I notice we have 24 javadoc errors [1] which might be because the
javadoc maven target doesn't reference the right packages. I mean,
while you are there :-)

While I think of it, should I add a link to the nightly build [2] to
our site?

Ari

[1] http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Cayenne-trunk/org.apache.cayenne.docs$cayenne-doc/25/consoleText
[2] http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Cayenne-trunk/org.apache.cayenne$cayenne-server/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/org.apache.cayenne/cayenne-server/3.0-SNAPSHOT/cayenne-server-3.0-SNAPSHOT-sources.jar

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.