Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it> on 2003/05/15 17:34:42 UTC

[no virus] RE: AbtractQuotaMatcher extending GenericMatcher

See attachments:

1) Added javadocs.
2) Removed "throws MessagingException " where not needed.

By the way, Wouldn't it be better (and "best practice" in matchers and mailets) to catch and just log MessagingExceptions in the outer match(Mail) method, to assure that in any case an exception will not block a message?

Vincenzo

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Vincenzo,

The changes look good.

> By the way, Wouldn't it be better (and "best practice"
> in matchers and mailets) to catch and just log
> MessagingExceptions in the outer match(Mail) method,
> to assure that in any case an exception will not block
> a message?

What would you do with the message?  Do you match (over quota) or not?  What
is the expectation on the part of the administrator, who has put together
this mail application?  By throwing the MessagingException, the Processor
has a chance to do something about it, which in the current code means that
we send it to the error processor.  Where it makes sense to catch the
MessagingException and do something, we do, e.g., if there is a problem
retrieving a message.

	--- Noel