Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2010/03/02 04:44:09 UTC

[vote] RTC vs CTR

Hi everyone,

up for vote is to decide on a policy for RTC ("Review-Then-Commit") vs
CTR ("Commit-Then-Review). Attached below are four options, ranging from
the most conservative to the most liberal. Please vote on this, I urge
everyone working with the source to vote within 72 hours. If you are
only going to vote on one thing, vote on this one. :)

Vote on the following alternatives
-----------------------------------

[ ] RTC for everything except trivial changes (e.g. comments).

[ ] RTC for everything, except very small changes which are CTR.

[ ] RTC for everything, except code which would take ~5 minutes to
review. Such changes are CTR.

[ ] CTR for trunk, RTC for all release branches.

(note that all options implies RTC for all release branches, that is not
up for vote).

Not up for vote are a few things that we've already decided, and/or just
makes common sense. This will be documented in the Wiki page, and  include:

* All commits should have a Jira ticket. One Jira ticket can be used for
multiple commits (such umbrella bugs could be used for large code
cleanup projects, the RAT bug is a good example).

* Reviews (if applicable) should be done in a timely manner (7 days).

* Anyone can review any bug.

* People can sign up as "module reviewers", in areas where they have
interest and/or expertise. We'll keep a Wiki page with such domain
expertise.

* Significant code changes that could be disruptive on trunk should be
developed on a branch. The branch name will reflect the feature / change
accordingly.

* Large code changes, additions, architectural designs should be
discussed on mailing lists, IRC and Wiki / HTML pages.

* Security bugs and fixes should not be discussed or posted on public
forums.

* CTR implies lazy consensus.

(If anyone would like to change any of these, please make a separate
proposal).

Looking forward to lots of votes,

-- leif

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com>.
Commentary: I have no power but if I did would go CTR for trunk, RTC
for branches (opt 4).

-Jason

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by George Paul <ge...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I was able to see both messages on the list from you...

-Bryan

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com>.
I see both, good to go.

-Jason

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by John Plevyak <jp...@apache.org>.

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Eric Balsa <er...@apache.org>.
[+1] CTR for trunk, RTC for all release branches

--Eric

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by John Plevyak <jp...@acm.org>.

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.

Re: [vote] RTC vs CTR

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@yahoo-inc.com>.
[+1] RTC for everything, except code which would take ~5 minutes to
review. Such changes are CTR.