Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joachim Zobel <nc...@netcologne.de> on 2001/06/04 10:22:44 UTC

How to change an SSIs Last-Modified

Hi.

I am using SSI a lot for 3 reasons:

1. Easy way to modularize static and generated HTML
2. XBitHack full + touch provides an easy way to have pages play the
If-Modified-Since game. (If our catalog database is updated, the fame SSIs
get a touch)
3. Performance

Now I am implementing a way for users to give votes and add comments to our
"product details" pages. This makes it necessary to modify the frame SSIs
Last-Modified header. Unfortunately I can not do this after the or from
within or after the include because at this time the header is already on
its way.

So I call update_mtime from within the SSI frames PerlFixupHandler and now
my SSI frame has a Last-Modified that comes from the database and uses this
to play the whole If-Modified-Since game including 304.

Cool. Congratulations to the guy that invented the update_mtime interface.

Joachim
--
"... ein Geschlecht erfinderischer Zwerge, die fuer alles gemietet werden
koennen."                            - Bertolt Brecht - Leben des Galilei