Posted to user@struts.apache.org by tzhang <zh...@hotmail.com> on 2008/01/17 02:56:33 UTC

[S2+AJAX]Which ajax libray did you use?

I am doing some research ajax+struts2. you know struts2.0 has the built-in
supprot for ajax based on Dojo, but I found the components is not very rich,
only have some basic function. I know there are a lot of ajax components for
JSF. So what did you do for struts2, develop your costom widgets or use the
third party ajax library? If you use the third party ajax libray? Could you
tell me which library is better? And give me some comments about how to
integrate with struts2?

Thanks

Re: [S2+AJAX]Which ajax libray did you use?

Posted by Adam Ruggles <a....@gmail.com>.
ExtJS and jQuery.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Jan 17, 2008 10:20 PM, Tony Zhang <zh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> For YUI + struts2, do you prefer to use YUI plugin for struts2 or just use
> YUI directly? Do we need to use DWR to transfter data?

You can just use YUI directly. Essentially, what's being replaced is
the JSPs. With Ajax, we can start with an  HTML page and use
JavaScript to merge in the dynamic data returned from the server. No
taglib required.

With Ajax, the difference is not in the request, but in the response.
With Struts + Ajax, you can just make an ordinary request to an
Action, and let Struts convert  the input parameters for use with the
Action. To Struts, an Ajax request looks like any other request. The
Action can do what the Action always does. The key is that instead of
using a result that forwards to a JSP, we can use a result that
returns JSON or some other payload in the response. On the Ajax side,
the script uses whatever we return in the response to update the page.

The same strategy works just as well with Struts 1, and some people
have been doing this sort of thing with Struts 1 since before Jesse
gave us the name "Ajax".

DWR is also a good way to go, but it overlaps with Struts. I'd use one
or the other, and either one will get the job done. If you just need
to call a server side class from an Ajax page, DWR is ideal. Though,
it doesn't have any added-value features, like validation. Last I
knew, DWR also doesn't anything like an Interceptor stack to customize
handling of the request/response pipeline, or other results for other
formats, like JasperReports.

> Ted, I looked through your sample struts-pim.war. In that sample, you don't
> use YUI plugin for struts2, just using js to call the struts2 action
> directly. My question is which way is better,  YUI plugin or no YUI plugin?

So far, all the Dojo or YUI plugins do is add Ajax features to the JSP
tags. My preference is to go JSP free, which means there's no reason
to use the a JSP tag plugin.

If I were going to use tags, I'd probably go with the AjaxParts
taglib, which is covered by other other Ajax Experience presentation.

 * http://www.StrutsUniversity.org/Retrofitting+Struts+for+Ajax+Taglibs

HTH, Ted
<http://www.StrutsMentor.com/>

Re: [S2+AJAX]Which ajax libray did you use?

Posted by bhaarat Sharma <bh...@gmail.com>.
that is an awesome site for struts2. has lot of good examples !!

Posted by Jayson Joseph Chacko <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by bhaarat Sharma <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> Tony Zhang wrote:
>> For YUI + struts2, do you prefer to use YUI plugin for struts2 or
>> just use
>> YUI directly?
>
> I'm probably not the best person to answer that because I'm frankly
> not using S2 at the moment and have never looked at the YUI plugin.
> If you're comfortable with Javascript coding and client-side
> development, my *guess* is there's a little more freedom not using the
> plugin, but others can certainly shed more light there than I can.
Agreed.  The YUI plugin for Struts2 doesn't add much value and that's
why it's basically stagnant. It defines some tags that output default
html and inline javascript that's okay for some cases, but more often
than it's better just to use html and javascript following
YUI's/Crockford's recommended approach (eg. no inline script).

That being said, I have created anchor, submit, div and tabview tags for
the YUI plugin so I could easily migrate an existing application from
the dojo plugin.  Frequently though, I set the "noscript" attribute to
true so the tags just output html without script.  They're nowhere near
as capable as the existing dojo tags and I don't expect they ever will be.

Re: [S2+AJAX]Which ajax libray did you use?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Tony Zhang wrote:
> For YUI + struts2, do you prefer to use YUI plugin for struts2 or just use
> YUI directly?

I'm probably not the best person to answer that because I'm frankly not
using S2 at the moment and have never looked at the YUI plugin.  If
you're comfortable with Javascript coding and client-side development,
my *guess* is there's a little more freedom not using the plugin, but
others can certainly shed more light there than I can.

 > Do we need to use DWR to transfter data?

DWR allows you to call server-side object from your client-side
Javascript in a way that, for the most part, makes it look like it's all
executing in the same process space.  What that ultimately means is you
stop thinking about "transferring data" entirely and instead think about
the same things you think about when you code in pure Java: what methods
or what objects do you call, and what object to you get back.  It's a
fantastically elegant way to go, but it also to a large extent makes
what framework you use irrelevant (I'm personally becoming more and more
convinced every day that it makes it not just irrelevant but actually
counter-productive to use a framework at all).

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
  (2006, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-695-1)

Re: [S2+AJAX]Which ajax libray did you use?

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
>  * http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/
>
> (Really, do this today!)

I completely agree with Ted!  My only word of caution is that YUI is
oriented towards software developers.  "Creatives" are probably going to
prefer libraries like Mootools that provide simple to use widgets that
you don't need to understand (http://demos.mootools.net/).  The
suitability depends on the type of application you're building.  My
preference is to write correct javascript.

With respect to GWT, my only experience is experimental (and I bought a
book on it!), but if you go down that path you need to make a paradigm
shift and stop caring how the html looks.  You develop in an environment
like Swing with layout managers.  UI design needs to follow the same
approach you'd use when developing a normal rich application.  This
paradigm-shift seems to scare off most traditional web developers but
attracts developers that prefer the swing-like event model.  GWT is
probably not suitable if you only need a couple of widgets in a
traditional web page.  I stopped experimenting with GWT when I realized
javascript was actually good.

I can't comment on the JSF features.

regards,
 Jeromy Evans
.

Re: [S2+AJAX]Which ajax libray did you use?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I definitely found YUI to be a pleasant experience as well while writing
the chapter on it my second book.  It's one of the easier libraries to
pick up, even for novice JS programmers, which is something I've heard
frequently from many different sources.  That's not something you can say
about a great many JS libraries out there today.  My only "complaint", if
it can be called that, is that I don't find the widgets to be all that
rich, as compared to many other available options.  That's in no way to
say they are bad, and they're more than sufficient, and even more
appropriate, in many situations.  But if you're looking to create real
cutting-edge, very fancy UIs, YUI *may* not be the best choice.

It's interesting that when someone asks what "AJAX library" to use with
S2, most of the replies are really full-fledged RIA libraries.  Certainly
GWT falls in that category, as would YUI I think.  Are you looking truly
for AJAX alone, or do you really need all the bells and whistles, widgets,
effects, all that sort of stuff?

If it's plain AJAX you're after, there are some solid options.  Prototype
is one of the best, very small, simple, powerful.  APT is good if you
prefer the taglib and no JavaScript at all approach.  DWR is probably my
personal favorite right now (err, other than APT! LOL)  Just the
appropriate module from Mootools or Dojo is good.  jQuery is certainly an
excellent choice.  That's just to name a few.

If it's a full RIA library you're after, the answers might be a little
different.  ExtJS is one of the best (although there seems to be some
concern about licensing that I've seen, I'm not fully conversant on it
though).  Dojo is always a viable choice, and is considerably more so
since the 1.0 release hit.  I personally have had *great* success with
dhtmlx components (which couldn't be considered a full RIA library, but
for widgets there's few better IMO).  jQuery has a robust ecosystem of
widgets from what I've heard (no hands-on experience yet).  GWT is
interesting if, as someone else said, you're willing to accept the
paradigm shift.  Probably everyone around here knows my personal feelings
about JSF, but that doesn't change the fact that it's always worth
considering.

It all comes down to what you need.  If it's just plain AJAX, it's a
different question than if you are looking for widgets and the whole
shebang (even if the line is certainly blurring these days).

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical DWR 2 Projects"
 (2008, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-941-1)
 (2007, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-816-4)
and "Practical Ajax Projects With Java Technology"

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by tzhang <zh...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks to Jeromy and Ted , your comments definitely help me a lot.

I looked through the YUI website, the widgets are quite rich.
I still concern about if I want to use the Struts2 + YUI, I have to know
pretty much about the YUI , right? Is YUI easy to learn and use?  Since our
developers don't know much about javascript.

And about GWT+ Struts2, I think the html code compiled by GWT is hard to
read. And if I only want to use ajax for partical page, is there any issue?
How do you think of this?

There is a JSF plugin for struts2, the developer can develop web page using
JSF component. There is a sample is about integrating struts2+jsf+facelets
http://raibledesigns.com/rd/entry/integrating_struts_2_jsf_facelets.
>From the comments, we can use the Ajax4jsf, and I find the RichFaces library
has the ajax support and provides many function.   Seems that the developers
don't need to write javascript when using that ajax tag.  Is there anyone
success with this way?

And how do you think?

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
You can use any client-side library you choose with Struts2.  There's no
reason why you should encounter incompatibilities provided the library
can handle html, xml or json responses from your actions.

I used Dojo 0.4 a lot but have completely moved over to YUI now.  My
main frustration with Dojo was the sparsity of documentation and the
developer's focus on 0.9+.  It's a sophisticated framework though and
version 1.0 shouldn't be automatically discounted.  I haven't used 1.0
but Dijit seems to have nice widgets.

The benefits of YUI are:
  - it's a simple and elegant design
  - it's obsessively well documented
  - it's designed for software developers (ie. well-designed,
pattern-focused, object-oriented javascript)
  - it's growing in functionality and users at a phenomenal rate
  - it's degrades gracefully for bad browsers
  - there's good extensions available for it

The weaknesses of YUI are :
  - it doesn't include all the glossy widgets available in other libraries
  - many web developers don't understand well-designed, pattern-focused,
object-oriented software and don't want to
  - many web applications don't need a framework like this on the
client-side anyway (eg. if you just want animation & effects)

ExtFS is built upon YUI and adds some nice functionality and widgets.
Check the license though.
DED|Chain is built upon YUI to add JQuery-like APIs more familiar to web
developers/designers.  Check out Dunstin's Javascript tetris:
http://www.dustindiaz.com/basement/tetris-s.html to see the potential.
The Bubbling Library adds an alternative event mechanism and widgets to YUI

It really depends on what kind of application you're building and the
kind of developers working on the client-side.

If you're reluctant to learn javascript *correctly* some impressive Rich
Internet Applications have also been built with Google Web Toolkit
(GWT).  It's very easy to get started and the GWT plugin for Struts2
simplifies integration with this framework. The Texas Hold'em Poker
example shows the strength of translating java to javascript:
http://www.gpokr.com/

Hope that's helpful,
Jeromy Evans

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm a fan of YUI myself.

A good way to go with Struts/Ajax integration is to make an ordinary
request to an action, and then return a JSON response. This provides
the benefits of JSON, but avoid some of the overhead of a JSON/RPC
call.

I actually did a presentation at the Boston Ajax Experience on this
topic. The slides can be found here: