Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Sreedhar Madullapalli <sr...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/11 21:29:55 UTC

Clarification/Correction needed for HEADER directive explanation

Hi Folks,
The HEADER directive section of the mod_headers documentation needs some
clarification/correction (
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_headers.html#header)
The documentation needs to properly define the numbering of the arguments.
The syntax mentioned is : Header [condition] set|append|add|unset|echo
header [value] [env=[!]variable]
In this syntax, I see five arguments (parameters).
First – Condition
Second – Actions (set|append|add|unset|echo)
Third – Header (name)
Fourth – Value
Fifth – environment variable

The text however mentions “action” as second argument, which is correct, but
also mentions “value” as the third argument, which is incorrect.
Can someone clarify/correct this to avoid ambiguity in the numbering of the
arguments?

This was brought to my attention by one of the Apache web server users, when
they received a startup error “HEADER requires 3 arguments”. They wanted
clarification on what constitutes 3 arguments as indicated in the error, if
one wishes to use the “condition” argument as well. Not sure if there is a
need to refine the error message as well, related to HEADER directive
misconfiguration.

Thanks.
-Sreedhar Rao

Re: Clarification/Correction needed for HEADER directive explanation

Posted by Sreedhar Madullapalli <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,
I feel that even though the content is more or less same between the two
docs, their content is more organized. In the HEADER directive document,
there is no ambiguity to a new user on the numbering of the arguments, and
their usage. Perhaps it is just me - when I read the HEADER directive on
apache docs it took me 3-4 reads before getting it right, but their (IBM)
presentation of the same content was easier to understand and grasp (no
ambiguity, whatsoever).
Just my two cents.
-Sreedhar

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Jan 19, 2010, at 10:50 , Dan Poirier wrote:

> Sorry, poor wording on my part.  I just meant we couldn't use them
> under
> the current license, so we'd have to get them donated under the Apache
> license if we wanted to use them.
>
> On what parts of the documentation they did the most work on, that
> work
> was done some time ago by other people, so the current team doesn't
> have
> that information handy.

Bummer. Well, if they are interested in donating, I'd be delighted to
read through them and determine which parts we can use, and which we
can't. I'd be particularly interested in docs on security and
performance, since that's where we are (currently) most lacking.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Clarification/Correction needed for HEADER directive explanation

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> writes:

> On Jan 18, 2010, at 10:31 , Dan Poirier wrote:
>
>> Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> writes:

>>> Wow. Interesting. I must bookmark that and poke around their docs
>>> more.
>>>
>>> Do you have any direct contact with the producers of these docs? To
>>> what degree are we able to borrow their content? Better yet, can we
>>> get them to actively participate in our process, rather than (or in
>>> addition to) forking our effort?
>>
>> I could probably track them down.  I'm not sure what the iSeries
>> team's
>> process is with the doc.
>

> Awesome. Looks like they have some great stuff in their docs, and we
> could probably benefit from trolling through them, but I expect that
> they have better insight as to what's different than we would.

I'm in contact with them.  Maybe they'll pop in here, as I've pointed
out this thread to them.

Note that the v5r2 docs are pretty out of date.  The latest are at

<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/index.jsp?topic=/rzaie/rzaiemod_headers.htm>

The current terms of use are here:
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzahg/documentdownloadpermission.htm>

I'm not a lawyer but my reading is that wouldn't give ASF rights to use
the documentation as we'd like, so if there are parts of the doc we'd
like to use, we'd need to negotiate that.

I agree that identifying where they've added the most to the original
docs would be useful.  The Scenarios section jumped out at me, although
when I dug a bit deeper it appears to be pretty dependent on the admin
tools they've added around the server.  I've asked where they think
they've put in the most effort there.

Dan

Re: Clarification/Correction needed for HEADER directive explanation

Posted by Sreedhar Madullapalli <sr...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Rich on the "great stuff".
Having worked with IBM hardware for a decade, I have been very versed with
their documentation and knowledgebase. Their Redbooks are an excellent
source of reference for a range of subject matter (from PC architecture,
networking, storage, applications, and some more).
-Sreedhar

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Sreedhar Madullapalli <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
Sreedhar Madullapalli <sr...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Folks,
> The HEADER directive section of the mod_headers documentation needs some
> clarification/correction (
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_headers.html#header)
> The documentation needs to properly define the numbering of the arguments.

Thanks for the report.  I've reworded this a bit in the trunk
and 2.2.x documentation (r899254 and r899257).  It'll take a little while to
show up on the web site.

Dan