Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk> on 2015/02/18 10:50:16 UTC

adding another namenode to an existing hadoop instance

Hi,

I have a Hadoop instance (single node) installed on RHES5 running OK.

The version of Hadoop is

hdfs -version

java version "1.7.0_25"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

I would like to add another file to namenode in hdfs-site.xml. That is
effectively building resiliency and multi-plexing it.

The new file will be on Solid State Disk. I tried adding it to hdfs-site.xml
file by having

<property>

   <name>dfs.namenode.name.dir</name>

   <value>file:/work/hadoop/hadoop_store/hdfs/namenode</value>

</property>

And changing it to

<property>

   <name>dfs.namenode.name.dir</name>

   <value>file:/work/hadoop/hadoop_store/hdfs/namenode</value>

   <value>file:/ssddata6/hadoop/hadoop_store/hdfs/namenode</value>

</property>

But it does not work!

Any ideas if one can add the secondary namenode file without losing data
etc?

Thanks

Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Publications due shortly:

Creating in-memory Data Grid for Trading Systems with Oracle TimesTen and
Coherence Cache

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this
message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Ltd, its
subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free,
therefore neither Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept
any responsibility.

Re: adding another namenode to an existing hadoop instance

Posted by Ulul <ha...@ulul.org>.
Erratum : dfs.namenode.name.dir is not unique, it can be a
comma-separated list in order to have more than one dir containing the
fsimage, preferably with one pointing to an NFS mount or at least on
different physical disks.
Sorry about that

Anyway, having more than one dir won't create a standby node, you need
to configure HA

Ulul

Posted by Ulul <ha...@ulul.org>.

Posted by Ulul <ha...@ulul.org>.