Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Carlos Scheidecker <na...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/08 08:13:03 UTC

Examples of Phrase Types OpenNLP

Hello all,

When you use the parser, you have some phrase objects tagged as the list
bellow.

Looking at the source code, you can identify those Phrase types by reading
comments.

I have put the "Phrase Type" list bellow together.

I wonder if anyone would have a list of Phrase Types so that I can test a
custom Parser?

For instance on the following sentence "The old begger ran after the man
who was wearing a black coat", the example of NP parse would be: "The old
begger". Example of VP would be "ran after the man who was wearing a black
coat".

I am hoping to get examples of text of CONJP, ADJP, ADVP etc as per list
bellow.

Thanks.

<name>ParseTagMappings</name>
        <value>
          <array>
            <string>S,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.S</string>
            <string>SBAR,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.SBAR</string>
            <string>SBARQ,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.SBARQ</string>
            <string>SINV,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.SINV</string>
            <string>SQ,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.SQ</string>
            <string>ADJP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.ADJP</string>
            <string>ADVP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.ADVP</string>
            <string>CONJP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.CONJP</string>
            <string>FRAG,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.FRAG</string>
            <string>INTJ,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.INTJ</string>
            <string>LST,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.LST</string>
            <string>NAC,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.NAC</string>
            <string>NP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.NP</string>
            <string>NX,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.NX</string>
            <string>PP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.PP</string>
            <string>PRN,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.PRNphrase</string>
            <string>PRT,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.PRT</string>
            <string>QP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.QP</string>
            <string>RRC,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.RRC</string>
            <string>UCP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.UCP</string>
            <string>VP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.VP</string>
            <string>WHADJP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.WHADJP</string>
            <string>WHAVP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.WHAVP</string>
            <string>WHNP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.WHNP</string>
            <string>WHPP,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.WHPP</string>
            <string>X,org.apache.uima.examples.opennlp.X</string>
          </array>
        </value>
>From org/apache/uima/examples/opennlp/ you have the following descriptions

Phrases type:

S -> Simple declarative clause, i.e. one that is not introduced by a
(possible empty) subordinating
     conjunction or a wh-word and that does not exhibit subject-verb
inversion.

SBAR -> Clause introduced by a (possibly empty) subordinating conjunction.

SBARQ -> Direct question introduced by a wh-word or a wh-phrase.
         Indirect questions and relative clauses should be bracketed as
SBAR, not SBARQ.

SINV -> Inverted declarative sentence, i.e. one in which the subject
follows the tensed verb or modal.

SQ -> Inverted yes/no question, or main clause of a wh-question, following
the wh-phrase in SBARQ.

ADJP -> Adjective Phrase.

ADVP -> Adverb Phrase.

CONJP -> Conjunction Phrase.

FRAG -> Fragment.

INTJ -> Interjection. Corresponds approximately to the part-of-speech tag
UH.

LST -> List marker. Includes surrounding punctuation.

NAC -> Not a Constituent; used to show the scope of certain prenominal
modifiers within an NP.

NP -> Noun Phrase.

NX -> Used within certain complex NPs to mark the head of the NP.
Corresponds very roughly to N-bar

PP -> Prepositional Phrase.

PRN -> Parenthetical.

PRT -> Particle. Category for words that should be tagged RP.

QP -> Quantifier Phrase (i.e. complex measure/amount phrase); used within
NP.

RRC -> Reduced Relative Clause.

UCP -> Unlike Coordinated Phrase.

VP -> Verb Phrase.

WHADJP -> Wh-adjective Phrase. Adjectival phrase containing a wh-adverb, as
in how hot.

WHAVP -> Wh-adverb Phrase. Introduces a clause with an NP gap. May be null
(containing the 0 complementizer)
         or lexical, containing a wh-adverb such as how or why.

WHNP -> Wh-noun Phrase. Introduces a clause with an NP gap. May be null
(containing the 0 complementizer)
        or lexical, containing some wh-word, e.g. who, which book, whose
daughter, none of which, or how
        many leopards.

WHPP -> Wh-prepositional Phrase. Prepositional phrase containing a wh-noun
phrase
        (such as of which or by whose authority) that either introduces a
PP gap or is contained by a WHNP.

X ->  Unknown, uncertain, or unbracketable. X is often used for bracketing
typos and in bracketing
      the...the-constructions.

Re: Examples of Phrase Types OpenNLP

Posted by Carlos Scheidecker <na...@gmail.com>.
OK, no worries. Found what I was looking for.

It is here: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/PennTreebank1995.pdf

In case someone needs the same.

Posted by Carlos Scheidecker <na...@gmail.com>.