Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <ow...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2006/12/08 18:12:32 UTC

Re: How to say "Hadoop"

On Dec 8, 2006, at 8:49 AM, howard chen wrote:

> any offical answer?
>
> seems difficult to speak, so i normally spell it out...

I think Hadoop is pronounced as h a:  - d u: p  with the emphasis on
the second syllable.
(key:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_chart_for_English)

Re: How to say "Hadoop"

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> I think Hadoop is pronounced as h a:  - d u: p  with the emphasis on the
> second syllable.
> (key:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_chart_for_English)

I believe the first vowel there is properly ae (as in "cat"), but in
rapid speech this unstressed vowel turns to a schwa, so it doesn't
really matter.

There are regional variations.  In particular, in some areas (the kids
playroom in my house, for example) the stress is placed on the first
syllable.  But by the time you make it down the hall to my office the
stress generally shifts back to the second syllable.

Doug

Re: How to say "Hadoop"

Posted by Andrew McNabb <am...@mcnabbs.org>.
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 09:12:32AM -0800, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> I think Hadoop is pronounced as h a:  - d u: p  with the emphasis on
> the second syllable.  (key:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_chart_for_English)

I always assumed the stress was on the first syllable.  Maybe we really
do need to clarify this. :)

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/