Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by unixmad <un...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2004/08/25 15:04:56 UTC

mod perl fails

Hi, I have apache2 php5 and mysql all working, however I then want to
have mod_perl compiled and installed with apache so i did perl
Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs
MP_APR_CONFIG=/usr/local/apache/bin/apr-config

after doing make it errors near the end with
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/apache/lib/libapr-0.a(apr_snprintf.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/apache/lib/libapr-0.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

How would I go about fixing this?

Also I compiled apache2 with

CFLAGS='-DEAPI' \
SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.7d \
./configure \
--with-mpm=worker \
--prefix=/usr/local/apache \
--enable-module=ssl \
--enable-shared=ssl \
--enable-module=rewrite \
--enable-shared=max \
--enable-module=so

here are the versions I used

httpd-2.0.50
mod_perl-1.99_16
mysql-4.0.20
openssl-0.9.7d
PHP-5.0.1

Im am new and have limited understanding of this but I have followed the
docs to the best of my ability and still keep getting this problem any
help would be greatly appreciated

Im new so if you require any more information , could you let me no what
steps to take & I will glady do so. As I have nearly got everything
installed that I need but perl has been the most hassle.
Regards
David

Re: mod perl fails

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

unixmad wrote:
> Hi, I have apache2 php5 and mysql all working, however I then want to
> have mod_perl compiled and installed with apache so i did perl
> Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs
> MP_APR_CONFIG=/usr/local/apache/bin/apr-config
>
> after doing make it errors near the end with
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/apache/lib/libapr-0.a(apr_snprintf.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/local/apache/lib/libapr-0.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> How would I go about fixing this?

I'd guess that this is an issue with your perl.  my perl -V shows

  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E'
    cccdlflags='-fpic', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

which is where the -fpic compile option is taken from.  so, please post your
perl -V, in addition to reading over

  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#Reporting_Problems

specifically the part on compilers and generating a proper bug report.

just for general knowledge, I have no problem getting mod_perl and php to
coexist in the same apache using DSO, but I've only tried 5.0.0.

--Geoff