Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/05 15:32:55 UTC

Code style & backwards compatiblity

Hi,

looking at Processors I often see things (e.g. internal state) are
protected, public or package private that really shouldn't/needn't be. A
few years ago I tried to change one of those and was told that others might
rely upon and I can't change it for backwards compatibility reasons.

I've now stumbled across this again and am wondering: Is there an official
policy somewhere? I looked at the Developer section of the wiki but
couldn't find anything obvious.

If those things really can't be changed it'd mean that only in NiFi 2.x
changes like this can come in.

I guess this ties into the Extension Registry and separate versions of
processors & NiFi etc.

Cheers,
Lars

Re: Code style & backwards compatiblity

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

This ties in to your answer on RecordReader etc.
There's a chance I missed it but I believe those things (e.g. nifi-api is
meant to be backwards compatible, other parts are not) are not documented
anywhere.
It'd be good to have that in my opinion.
I can put it on my todo list if others agree that this would be worthwhile.

Yes, something specific last week triggered this but I can't remember what
to be honest.

Lars

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.