Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Lu Xuechao <lu...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/21 21:01:23 UTC

Please help find the reason behind performance test results.

Hi,

We observed below correlation between kafka configuration and performance
data:

1. producer insertion rate drops as compression enabled, especially gzip;
2. when the producer batch size is below 200, we got high CPU/network IO on
brokers, got high network IO on producers/consumers;

What's the reasons behind?

thanks.

Re: Please help find the reason behind performance test results.

Posted by Lu Xuechao <lu...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I am using 0.8.
Network IO means bytes transferred.

Thanks for reply.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Are these for Kafka 08?

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
If the data is compressed, the broker has to recompress the messages in
order to assign offsets. So, there is some CPU overhead. However, it
shouldn't be too high. How high of the CPU load did you observe?

Thanks,

Jun