Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2007/10/05 21:14:39 UTC

MEJB changes in Geronimo and MappedName

NOTE:  This was also posted on the Geronimo dev list.

We've been hitting some errors in the TCK tests that validate mgmt with
MEJB.  The main problem was that we were failing the name lookup:

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name
"java:openejb/Deployment/MEJBGBean/MEJB/javax.management.j2ee.Management"
not found

I thought this was strange because we don't include the MEJBGBean any
longer in the geronimo assembly and I could find no reference to it in
the Geronimo code at all.

It turns out that we map to the "GBEAN" name when there is no mappedName
specified in the Openejb code.  In o.a.openejb.config.GeronimoMappedName
at line 65 there is this piece of code which Geronimo is apparently very
dependent upon

if (null == mappedName && ref.getEjbRefName().equals("ejb/MEJB")) {
     ref.setMappedName("MEJBGBean/MEJB");
}

So I assume the mappedName must always be null and we need to force this
  mapping for Geronimo?

Once I modified the name to match the newly enabled MEJB app's id,
"mejb/ejb/mgmt/MEJB", then I finally started to see failures that
matched what Anita indicated we should see without the correct
authorization.

So what should we do with this openejb change?  We were hoping to
release Geronimo 2.0.2 with openejb 3.0-beta-1 which has the old name
still included.  There are probably other ways around this that would
only require Geronimo (such as making the new name match the old name
... but that's really ugly) or perhaps TCK configuration changes.  Any
suggestions?

Joe

Re: MEJB changes in Geronimo and MappedName

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Thank you Dain and Manu.  I've got the linkRef working now locally and
will check it in to Geronimo a little later tonight.

Joe

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Another cause for the problem may be the presence of this class
org.apache.openejb.mgmt.MEJBBean.java in openejb-core which may be
getting deployed.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/branches/3.0-beta-1/container/openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/mgmt/MEJBBean.java
So you may need to do a rebind of the jndi link at that location. I am
not very sure but you may need to bind linkrefs at
MEJBGBean/MEJB/javax.management.j2ee.Management etc.
Dain can probably clarify more on this.

Regards
Manu

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Geronimo and MappedName

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I could help out on this too ... but for me the criticality of this has
dropped since the patch for OPENEJB-704 was committed.

I think David's proposal makes a lot of sense and would come in handy if
things change often ... so it would be worth pursuing.  However, I don't
think we'll be bitten by this again for quite some time.

Joe

Re: Geronimo and MappedName (was: Re: MEJB changes in Geronimo and MappedName)

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Guys sorry for the stupid question, but do u have resources about this
MappedName thing as I can't understand anything about and I would like to be
on the same page with you :).

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Geronimo and MappedName (was: Re: MEJB changes in Geronimo and MappedName)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
I had a couple ideas in this area, basically thinking that we could
replace the hard-coded strings in GeronimoMappedName with values we
pull from system properties (or better, the more private
SystemInstance.get().getProperties()) that way the values could always
be changed in the Geronimo OpenEjbSystemGBean to match whatever
Geronimo is currently using.

We'd just need a couple properties specified in OpenEjbSystemGBean like:

    SystemInstance.get().setProperty("geronimo.mappedNamePrefix",
"jndi:java:comp/geronimo/env/");
    SystemInstance.get().setProperty("geronimo.mejbDeploymentId",
"MEJBGBean/MEJB");

Then they'd need to get checked for in the GeronimoMappedName
constructor and wired into the mapReferences() method.

Anyone want to work on that?

-David