Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Paul Furbacher <pn...@home.com> on 2001/02/20 16:10:13 UTC

Re: Q: is there a Streaming-Server (RTSP,RTP) as a sibbling project t o Apache and Tomcat?

"thomas.nagel@materna.de" <th...@materna.de>
wrote:

> is there a Streaming-Server (RTSP,RTP) as a sibbling project
> to Apache and Tomcat? If not, it could be a good idea ;)

To which a number of folks responded with the general
sentiment (quoted from Jon Steven's message):

> If you have a project with a community and a nice code base, we
> might be interested in hosting it here.
>
> Jakarta != Sourceforge

Am I missing something here?  I think it would be a very bad idea.
It would attempt to duplicate a huge body of existing open source
code:

  http://www.opensource.apple.com//projects/streaming/

As I see it, there is absolutely no need to duplicate this
effort.  And I seem to remember that Jon recently exhorted
everyone to pull back from the projet-du-jour thinking that
just because someone "had an idea" there ought to be
a project.  His argument went something like "work with them"
(JUnit in that case; Apple in this case).  In this case, as
with many others, I say, get involved in Darwin and QTSS.
Don't create another project.

Paul Furbacher
http://www.teamb.com

-----------------------------

Re: Q: is there a Streaming-Server (RTSP,RTP) as a sibbling project t o Apache and Tomcat?

Posted by Alex Fernández <af...@tid.es>.
Hi!

Paul Furbacher wrote:

> "thomas.nagel@materna.de" <th...@materna.de>
> wrote:
>
> > is there a Streaming-Server (RTSP,RTP) as a sibbling project
> > to Apache and Tomcat? If not, it could be a good idea ;)
>
> To which a number of folks responded with the general
> sentiment (quoted from Jon Steven's message):
>
> > If you have a project with a community and a nice code base, we
> > might be interested in hosting it here.
> >
> > Jakarta != Sourceforge
>
> Am I missing something here?  I think it would be a very bad idea.
> It would attempt to duplicate a huge body of existing open source
> code:
>
>   http://www.opensource.apple.com//projects/streaming/

There's open source, and then there's open source. AFAIK, Apple's code is
theirs -- and any modification that you attempt is essentially theirs.

> As I see it, there is absolutely no need to duplicate this
> effort.

Oh, it wouldn't be duplicating -- perhaps people might want to use non-QT
formats like MPEG-4 (funny Apple won't implement it, since the file
system is based on QT), or any other format not yet supported by Apple.
Perhaps Darwin will stream them OK, perhaps not; anyway, it's nice to
have choices.

>  And I seem to remember that Jon recently exhorted
> everyone to pull back from the projet-du-jour thinking that
> just because someone "had an idea" there ought to be
> a project.  His argument went something like "work with them"
> (JUnit in that case; Apple in this case).

I think you misunderstood his words. Paraphrasing them: if you already
have a project, *and* a community, Jakarta might host it. It's not about
creating a new project.

Un saludo,

Alex.

Re: Q: is there a Streaming-Server (RTSP,RTP) as a sibbling project t o Apache and Tomcat?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/20/01 7:10 AM, "Paul Furbacher" <pn...@home.com> wrote:

> Am I missing something here?  I think it would be a very bad idea.
> It would attempt to duplicate a huge body of existing open source
> code:
>
> http://www.opensource.apple.com//projects/streaming/
>
> As I see it, there is absolutely no need to duplicate this
> effort.  And I seem to remember that Jon recently exhorted
> everyone to pull back from the projet-du-jour thinking that
> just because someone "had an idea" there ought to be
> a project.  His argument went something like "work with them"
> (JUnit in that case; Apple in this case).  In this case, as
> with many others, I say, get involved in Darwin and QTSS.
> Don't create another project.
>

> Paul Furbacher
> http://www.teamb.com

This is very true, however, in this case, the point was to create a Java
based solution. It is ok to fork to a different language as it is almost
always a good idea to have implementations of things in different languages,
even if their functionality is the same.

The reason is that some languages may end up being better than others for
implementations of things (how would you know if you didn't try?) and it
provides for healthy competition and opens up avenues for people to
contribute that may know one language and not another one.

For example, there is a C Apache HTTPd project and a Java Apache HTTPd
project (Tomcat).

However, I would still argue that Java based solution for this type of
service (streaming video) is a silly waste of time because of the overhead
of a JVM as well as the fact that we have a nice C based solution (thanks
Apple!) sitting right there ready to be used.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous
<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/> && <http://java.apache.org/turbine/>