Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Nishanth S <ni...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/11 21:48:46 UTC

Identifying Number of Kafka Consumers

All,
I am very new to kafka . We have a  case where we need to ingest multiple
avro record types . These avro record types vary vastly in volume  and size
and I am thinking of sending  each of these message types to a different
topic and creating partitions based on volume and through put needed.  What
the  kafka consumer has to do is read the record of from  partitions and
 write to  different hdfs locations based on record type  . I am guessing
we should at least start with one consumer per  topic  . Is this
understanding correct or is there a better way to look at it?

Re: Identifying Number of Kafka Consumers

Posted by Nishanth S <ni...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David!. We are not  using  confluent at the moment .Since the work
 that needs to be  done by each consumer is the same (read > write to hdfs)
  I am guessing my consumer code will just look the same and will need just
one consumer group.

Thanks,
Nishanth