Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Menke, John" <Jo...@acs-inc.com> on 2004/06/17 18:15:47 UTC

difference between coplets and the CocoonPortlet

Sorry for posting to this list in addition to the users list but nobody has
answered my question and I can't find the answer.

My question is:  What is the difference between a Coplet and the
CocoonPortlet.  All the documentation on the portal references Coplets.
What is the role of the CocoonPortlet and how is it used?

-jm

Re: difference between coplets and the CocoonPortlet

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Menke, John wrote:

>My question is:  What is the difference between a Coplet and the
>CocoonPortlet.  All the documentation on the portal references Coplets.
>What is the role of the CocoonPortlet and how is it used?

CocoonPortlet is the implementation of the JSR168 Portlet
(javax.portlet.Portlet) and it provides a way to deploy Cocoon
application in the JSR168 container. AFAIK, WebLogic Portal and Plumtree
Portal both have implementations of this JSR. And Pluto is an open
source implementation of this JSR.

Coplet is a component which can be deployed into the Cocoon Portal,
which is separate thing.

So, depending on what do you want to do -- enable Cocoon app to be
deployed in 3rd party portal, or to build own portal on top of Cocoon,
you'll choose one or another (or even both in some weird case).

Vadim