Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Klavon <dk...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/18 20:44:59 UTC

IBM contributions

There have been recent devlist posts around the following components
for Geronimo.  IBM is the current copyright holder for these functions
and we would like to contribute these to the Apache Geronimo project.

LDAP login module
JavaMail Portlet for the web console
Certificate Management (Keystore) for the web console

Dave

Re: IBM contributions

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 18, 2005, at 6:54 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Just as a public note (a reminder for myself), we'll have to get
>> software grants for these.
>>

>     When is it enough to have someone post an attachment and check the
> ASL license box and when is a software grant necessary?  Does it just
> depend on whether the poster is themself the copyright holder?

I don't think there's an absolutely clear rule for this.

For example, any "large" contribution should have a software grant.
It's a painless process all around, and good for us and our users
because we then have good tracking for anything that "came from
elsewhere".  The problem is the question of what defines "large".  In
Harmony, we're going to require *every* pre-written code that is
being repurposed to have an SG because of IP concerns.  (Once we get
it squared away, I want to discuss it here too, because we have many
similar issues that I fear...)

For the issue you noted, yes, we certainly want to be sure that when
someone isn't the copyright holder and donating code, that an SG is
done as we then have a clear statement about the contribution.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: IBM contributions

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Just as a public note (a reminder for myself), we'll have to get
> software grants for these.

	When is it enough to have someone post an attachment and check the
ASL license box and when is a software grant necessary?  Does it just
depend on whether the poster is themself the copyright holder?

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: IBM contributions

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.