Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by ka...@orange-ftgroup.com on 2010/09/29 17:50:16 UTC

RE : Multi target test plans

Thank you for this response.

This functionality may be useful when system under test is composed of many servers or follows a distributed architecture like peep to peep systems (the target is client and server at the same time). Furthermore, it allows to simulate user behaviors (a behavior = test plan). In telephonic platform, for example, a user may be a caller, responder, forwarder, observer, etc.

Solution that consists in launching many JMeter GUI have some drawbacks:
1/ Need to launch as JMeter GUIs as target systems. My system contains many nodes/servers.
2/ Not suitable for large scale systems. We can't have a global view to monitor tests. Otherwise, we aren't able to manage simultaneously JMeter servers: deploy test plans on JMeter servers, start/stop sampling or observe testing results at runtime.

Using CSVDataSetConfig may be used to specify server target, but I don't see how it can specify how to dispatch test plans on JMeter server.

I would like to use JMeter because it's extensible, have a user friendly GUI, but this functionality is mandatory to my tests. Hope it's possible with JMeter even using a workaround.
Note:  This functionality is available on Clif platform

Regards,
---------
Ammous

De : Felix Frank [ff@mpexnet.de]
Date d'envoi : mercredi 29 septembre 2010 12:19
À : JMeter Users List
Objet : Re: Multi target test plans

On 09/29/2010 12:05 PM, kammous.ext@orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
> Dear JMeter users,
>
> I am a new JMeter user and I would like to ask you kindly to helping me in resolving this issue :
>
> In the distributed JMeter testing tutorial  :
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/jmeter_distributed_testing_step_by_step.pdf
>
> all JMeter servers stress the same system target server according to the same test plan.
>
> My concern  is :
> Is it possible to deploy different test plans on the different JMeter servers such as each JMeter server is used to stress its own target server ?

I am not aware of a possibility in Jmeter to do that, nor do I see the
value in such a feature. It might be more clear if you'd give more
information about your scenario.

A workaround might be to use a CSVDataSetConfig and deploy csv files on
all Jmeter servers that specify the target server. I cannot comment on
the possible difficulties in such a hack.

The best way that I can see is not using the Jmeter server at all, but
launching stand-alone Jmeters on all Jmeter machines, using different
test plans each.

Regards,
Felix

*********************************
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.

Re: RE : Multi target test plans

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
> Solution that consists in launching many JMeter GUI have some drawbacks:

I did not imply using the GUI. I find the GUI helpful mostly for
creating Test Plans. As a rule, I will run real stress tests in non-GUI
mode. This is can even be scaled out, but the server is usually better
suited, no doubt about it.

Cheers,
Felix