Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tony Fountain <tf...@benefitconcepts.com> on 2007/10/01 17:01:05 UTC

RE: New to Apache

Mark,

I did not hijack a thread.  I started this one myself.

Thanks,
Tony Fountain
Benefit Concepts, Inc.
(419) 244-9936 x9010 (office)
(419) 249-7221 (fax)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: New to Apache

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
On 2 Oct 2007 at 8:51, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 06:58:23PM -0400, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > Tony Fountain wrote:
> > > Mark,
> > >
> > > I did not hijack a thread.  I started this one myself.
> >
> > No you didn't. You hit reply to an old message deleted the content
> > and changed the subject. Please don't do this.
>
> Possibly he's an innocent victim of today's over-helpful MUAs.  If I'd
> never seen or been told about the Message-ID:, In-Reply-To:, and
> all traces of the previous thread, and I would think I'm being
> efficient by letting the MUA copy the list address for me instead of
> typing it myself.
>
> Authors of gooey MUAs would do well to support listmail better by, for
> example, providing a button to "send new message to the list that
> reflected this message", or enabling the association of a folder with
> an address and providing a button for "send to this folder's
> associated address".

Most mail clients I've used just allow the user to click the From address and it opens up a
new message to that address.

-Steve O.

Re: New to Apache

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
I know in Thunderbird you can click on the email address of a message
and compose a new message to that person.  It's not the same as a reply
which incorporates other header information in order to perserve the
thread association.

--David

Re: New to Apache

Posted by Ken Bowen <kb...@als.com>.
I remind myself regularly that the address is a link at the bottom of
every eamil I get from the list,
and using that sets up everything I need.
Since I save (some) list items, it's easy to get the address to start a
new thread.

--Ken Bowen

RE: New to Apache

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 06:58:23PM -0400, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Tony Fountain wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > I did not hijack a thread.  I started this one myself.
>
> No you didn't. You hit reply to an old message deleted the content and

> changed the subject. Please don't do this.

Possibly he's an innocent victim of today's over-helpful MUAs.  If I'd
never seen or been told about the Message-ID:, In-Reply-To:, and
traces of the previous thread, and I would think I'm being efficient by
letting the MUA copy the list address for me instead of typing it
myself.

Authors of gooey MUAs would do well to support listmail better by, for
example, providing a button to "send new message to the list that
reflected this message", or enabling the association of a folder with an
address and providing a button for "send to this folder's associated
address".

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.

Re: New to Apache

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.

Re: New to Apache

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Tony Fountain wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I did not hijack a thread.  I started this one myself.

No you didn't. You hit reply to an old message deleted the content and
changed the subject. Please don't do this.

Mark

RE: New to Apache

Posted by Charlie Wingate <cw...@valco-data.com>.
Hi Tony,
	I am not sure where at the website you can find documentation
but I use Win2k3 and Tomcat 5.5 and have found that the Native runtime
library for W2k3 gives a big performance boost.  The file is
tcnative-1.dll and I think the latest version is 1.1.9.0; Google it and
you should be able to find a download location.
	As for performance measurements and methodologies I am at a loss
but looking into that myself soon.

~Charlie

The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking with which we created them.
  - Albert Einstein

This Email has been scanned for all viruses by PAETEC Email Scanning
Services, utilizing MessageLabs proprietary SkyScan infrastructure. For
more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the
clock, around the globe, visit http://www.paetec.com.

computer viruses.

This message is a CONFIDENTIAL communication.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, or use it, and do not disclose it to others.  Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.