Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mike Lepore <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/06 18:54:55 UTC

question: is it possible to have SMTP server respond to both port 25 and port 465?

Is there a way to configure James smtserver to support port 25 for
non-SSL and port 465 for socketTLS at the same time?  There doesn't seem
to be a way to configure the smtpserver for multiple ports, one non-SSL
and the other socketTLS in the smtpserver.xml. Can you have more than
one <bind> tag?

--

thanks,
Michael Lepore

Re: question: is it possible to have SMTP server respond to both port 25 and port 465?

Posted by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de>.
Funny, I've asked the very same question a few months ago.

Short and simple awnser: No, you can't!

A bit more: afaik James currently opens one port for SMTP, default on
TCP/25 w/o any encryption. If you set SMTP port to TCP/465 w/ socketTLS
enabled you'll only be able to enqueue mails from registered
users/networks, but won't be able to receive any mails from other mail
servers. Same goes for TCP/587 with startTLS. Why? Cause 465 and 587 are
only for mail submission from mail clients. Inter-server-coms are only
done by 25 - and only plain w/o encryption or w/ startTLS. Most MTAs
probable could handle TCP/25 w/ socketTLS - but as this isn't standard
no MTA will expect it and therefore mostly won't be able to correctly
use it. Let alone all those MTA wich doesn'T support TLS at all.

Only option if you wan't to use encryption and be able to receive mails
from other servers: TCP/25 with startTLS.

Or: as James is opensource - you could develop a module wich opens
multiple ports for specific tasks.

Matt

Posted by Mike Lepore <mi...@gmail.com>.
yes, I think too that the handlers block should be allowed to be
global.  Maybe allowing that block in both places would be best.

Posted by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de>.

Posted by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de>.
This should be added to

Posted by Rich P <te...@hotmail.com>.