Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> on 2016/08/19 22:41:55 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Disable Linux AIO build support in 7.0.0

There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!

The Linux AIO feature has a few bugs associated with it and there isn’t a developer that has been working them.  The proposal is to remove Linux AIO in the build for now until someone is willing to work on it and make it more stable.  The Linux AIO code would be still part of the tree in case someone wants to work on it.

Thank you,

-Bryan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Disable Linux AIO build support in 7.0.0

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
> On Aug 20, 2016, at 6:30 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 6:57 PM, James Peach <jp...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 3:41 PM, Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!
>>>
>>> The Linux AIO feature has a few bugs associated with it and there isn’t a developer that has been working them.  The proposal is to remove Linux AIO in the build for now until someone is willing to work on it and make it more stable.  The Linux AIO code would be still part of the tree in case someone wants to work on it.
>>
>> So in practice, you would remove the --enable-linux-native-aio build option? I think we have a bug to make it a runtime option, at which point it would be a lot easier to validate to see whether it has potential. We could just rename the build option --enable-experimental-linux-aio-which-might-eat-my-data?
>

> I think the idea would be to remove the entire current implementation, since a) it is riddle with issues and worse b) no one is maintaining / fixing any of these issues.
>
> +1 from me, but if someone is willing to work and maintain the linux native AIO code that’s currently is in place, please speak up now.

I’m willing to look at it but I can’t guarantee when …

Re: [PROPOSAL] Disable Linux AIO build support in 7.0.0

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Aug 19, 2016, at 6:57 PM, James Peach <jp...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 3:41 PM, Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!
>>
>> The Linux AIO feature has a few bugs associated with it and there isn’t a developer that has been working them.  The proposal is to remove Linux AIO in the build for now until someone is willing to work on it and make it more stable.  The Linux AIO code would be still part of the tree in case someone wants to work on it.
>
> So in practice, you would remove the --enable-linux-native-aio build option? I think we have a bug to make it a runtime option, at which point it would be a lot easier to validate to see whether it has potential. We could just rename the build option --enable-experimental-linux-aio-which-might-eat-my-data?

I think the idea would be to remove the entire current implementation, since a) it is riddle with issues and worse b) no one is maintaining / fixing any of these issues.

+1 from me, but if someone is willing to work and maintain the linux native AIO code that’s currently is in place, please speak up now.

Cheers,

— leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] Disable Linux AIO build support in 7.0.0

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
I'm +1 and fully intend to work on this for a future release.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
Thank you for all the feedback on this proposal.  Linux AIO build support will be disabled or have explicit warnings for 7.0.0.

-Bryan

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.