Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Brian Rowe <pu...@cenozoa.com> on 2004/02/19 17:02:20 UTC

jetspeed 2 vs 1.5

Hello,

I'm evaluating Jetspeed for a portal application we are developing and am
wondering what the status of version 2.0 is?  How long before there is a
release candidate?  Also, how divergent is version 1.5 from JSR 168?  I'm
mostly interested in developing a system that conforms as closely as possible
to the spec.

Thanks,
Brian

--
 =====
Brian Rowe (President, Chief Architect)

Re: jetspeed 2 vs 1.5

Posted by Stijn de Witt <St...@chello.nl>.
I've heard talk of 1st quarter 2004, so that would mean April...
Check jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org for more in depth status of the
development. The guys actually building it 'talk' to each other using that
mailing list.
Also, Jetspeed 2 alpha is available through the CVS. You can build it
yourself and see how it's doing...

-Stijn

Re: jetspeed 2 vs 1.5

Posted by Brian Rowe <pu...@cenozoa.com>.
Hello,

On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:54 am, you wrote:
> I asked the same question, and here are the answers I got:
> - JSR168: This specification deals with portlets, but (considering normal
> day-to-day development) you would normally not create many portlets when
> developing with Jetspeed 1.5.
> This may sound contradictory, but if you delve into the Jetspeed Tutorial,
> you will learn that the recommended way of developing for Jetspeed is using
> the Velocity templating engine. Using this technique, you would only create
> GenericMVCPortletAction descendants, which isn't a portlet, but a
> PortletAction.

Thanks for the tip.  So the Portlet and PortletAction subclasses will shield
us from any effects of JSR 168.

> Long story short, You shouldn't care about the JSR168 too much for now and
> just start developing with the stable release 1.x. Porting to Jetspeed 2
> shouldn't prove too difficult and you'll have full JSR168 complience by
> then.

Then for the time being is it best to use 1.4 (as opposed to 1.5) as it is the
latest stable release?

Thanks,
Brian

--
 =====

Re: jetspeed 2 vs 1.5

Posted by Stijn de Witt <St...@chello.nl>.
Some more info below...

> I'm evaluating Jetspeed for a portal application we are developing and am
> wondering what the status of version 2.0 is?  How long before there is a
> release candidate?  Also, how divergent is version 1.5 from JSR 168?
<snip>

I asked the same question, and here are the answers I got:
- JSR168: This specification deals with portlets, but (considering normal
day-to-day development) you would normally not create many portlets when
developing with Jetspeed 1.5.
This may sound contradictory, but if you delve into the Jetspeed Tutorial,
you will learn that the recommended way of developing for Jetspeed is using
the Velocity templating engine. Using this technique, you would only create
GenericMVCPortletAction descendants, which isn't a portlet, but a
PortletAction.
The implementation of the Model View Controller pattern in Jetspeed 2 might
be different from Jetspeed 1.x, but this has nothing to do with the JSR168
persé.